Pheasants...now this is going to be interesting...

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
manda

Pheasants...now this is going to be interesting...

Post by manda »

Hubby came home this afternoon...now bear in mind we are constantly fighting having more chicks...indeed actively keeping the broody's from sitting on anything and unless we miss one we're not doing too bad ...yet....
Anyway today he was out doing some trees (from the storms we had it's been full on)...and they disturbed a pheasant hen who was sitting on some eggs (you know where this is going don't you...) she took of and they watched for a while but she wasn't coming back anytime soon completely spooked by them being there...so we have a chook who's sat in the barn arguing about being a mum...well now she may well be but she's going to get a surprise if everything works out because she's now sat on 6 pheasant eggs...The good thing about this is there are few pheasants so all being well we'll boost the population by 6!!

Yeah I know...more chicks but these are going to be a bit special +f+
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Re: Pheasants...now this is going to be interesting...

Post by chookmike »

Beautiful to have around your paddocks too.

I saw the storms coming on The NZ Herald web site and did think of you. The Inter Island ferry wouldn't have been much fun for a few days.

When I lived in Taupo I used to see lots of quail around - do you keep any of those?

I think people used to call them 'American' quail.

Glad you still have a roof - hope the cardboard Cathedral made it through too.

Cheers

Mike
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Those babies should count their lucky stores Mr Manda found them )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
manda

Post by manda »

Well Mrs Hen is sat tight so that's all good....hopefully they will stay around once they mature....although any cockerel pheasants I'm sure will go their separate ways certainly.

We have California quail around here...funnily enough I saw them a couple of days ago for the first time this year scuttling about ...no idea where they come from or where they go to but we see them when they pass through here most days....they're quite tiny here I don't know if that because it's colder??

Sandy in this case they are...my hubby loves his hunting but as much as he does he is also very conscious of making sure you preserve stock...around here pheasant are rare (although their numbers are slowly increasing)...if they can have a helping hand they'll get it :-D
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

They certainly will with you )t'
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/