Runner Duck - Not Laying

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
Mulluc37
Lively Laner

Runner Duck - Not Laying

Post by Mulluc37 »

Hi Guys

I currently have an Indian Runner duck, 11months old and has not yet laid an egg >dum< is this normal?? She is in tip top condition, eating and drinking fine and hanging out happily with the male runner and the Aylesbury ( both of whom are laying) so no obvious reason I can see.

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks
sharon. 1 very understanding OH, 5 kids, 1 English Bullmastiff, 1 Dogue de Bordeaux, 1 inherited Staffie Cross, 2 cats ,9 chickens, 1 cockerel 2 indian runner ducks, 3 Aylesbury Ducks and numerous fish.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Re: Runner Duck - Not Laying

Post by Thomassio »

It's definitely not normal. I'm not saying its bad, but certainly not normal. My girlss didn't start laying until nearly 7 months. That's fairly late but because they reached 'Point-of-Lay' in the middle of winter they were slow starting. It's more about light than temperature and with the days getting longer and her being 11 months then I would expect her to be laying consistently. Maybe 5-7 a week. Is there any way she could be laying somewhere secret? Is she definitely a she?! Is she definitely 11 months? Sorry for patronising questions! Just thinking out loud really.

Thom.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

How many aylesburys do you have? All female?
Is the male runner topping the runner girl?
Mulluc37
Lively Laner

Post by Mulluc37 »

Hi Guys

Thanks for replies, she is definitely 11 months and definitely a girl, I have been back to the breeder but no response as yet. The Male runner is treading her, I have looked everywhere and not an egg in site, the Aylesbury ladies are laying an egg a day each, and the male Aylesbury is doing his job there also.

Stumped, her abdomen is not even a little swollen like she is about to lay any day.

Sharon xxx
sharon. 1 very understanding OH, 5 kids, 1 English Bullmastiff, 1 Dogue de Bordeaux, 1 inherited Staffie Cross, 2 cats ,9 chickens, 1 cockerel 2 indian runner ducks, 3 Aylesbury Ducks and numerous fish.
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

I think I'm stumped too in that case! My girls try to bury their eggs, funny little things they are!
What food are you feeding them? Are they getting grit or oyster shell as well?
Sorry I can't be more help.

Thom.
Mulluc37
Lively Laner

Post by Mulluc37 »

Hello

Yes they have free range access to oyster shell and I feed them layer pellets and some wheat as a treat. I am truly stumped, the breeder says that some of theirs which hatched last year are not laying either, so its a wait and see now, but thanks for all your help :-D