2 Female ducks.........

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

2 Female ducks.........

Post by Gwenoakes »

and one keeps trying to mate/tread the other!!! The one that is on the receiving end has a very sore leg and is very lame, any advice would be appreciated please. They are definitely both female too, just in case someone wondered if we knew the difference. LOL The one who is doing the treading is laying an egg every day!

We are taking the one who has the sore leg to the vets this p.m., but just wondered if anyone had experienced anything like this, must say it is a first for us......
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Re: 2 Female ducks.........

Post by Thomassio »

I think it's fairly common. Not sure what the solution is except.......get them a drake! It's not often that the solution to a problem is to increase the flock so it's a perfect excuse! :-D
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

Although, that said, it doesn't solve the leg issue at all. Maybe I'm just looking for reasons to get more ducks!
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Thanks, but not looking to increase at all. LOL

Vet has given us some antibiotic/anti-inflammatory/pain killers to give her, keep them seperate and if that doesnt work, we have 7 days supply, then she will be pts. Will see how it goes.

Just as a footnote, it is her that is doing the egg laying......sods law or what?
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

So the girl without the bad leg may be pts? What a shame. Everything crossed for you and her.
What breed is she? How old?
Where abouts in the uk are you?

Thom
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

It will be the one with the bad leg, if it gets no better, that is pts. They are just under a year old. The vet seems to think it could poss be pelvic problems as she splays leg from the top/hip area.

I think they are Khaki Campbells and we are in Lincolnshire, near Sleaford/Boston/Grantham.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

Unfortunately, Dilly as we named her got no better even with the medication, so she was pts this a.m. Clare nor I thought it was fair to her to keep her going till Monday tbh. The vet did say that she thought the problem was further up her leg either the hip or pelvis, especially as she was still very lame even with all the medication.

We still have Dally as we have named the other one and at the moment she has a shallow pond and a lot of grass with a wash house with lots of straw for her abode and seems to be OK. She is just outside the kitchen window and we can keep an eye on her.
silverback
Legendary Laner

Post by silverback »

Sorry to hear that Gwen, best thing for Dilly IMO, quality of life etc! {hug}
I am old and wise, because I was young and stupid!.