Call Ducks... advise please?

Bantams, Turkeys, Pigs, Sheep and whatever
Hugo025918
Learner Laner

Call Ducks... advise please?

Post by Hugo025918 »

Fairly experienced chicken keeper wanting to buy a pair or three Call Ducks. I am need of some advise please:

Before I buy a separate run and coop, will a chicken coop and run do the job? I have seen that larger duck breeds need a larger pop hole, but will smaller Call Ducks?

Does the coop need to be at ground level or will a ramp like the chickens have be ok for ducks? The coop and run I have selected (but not bought) has a coop off the ground and a ramp.

How noisy, compared to chickens are Call Ducks as I have heard they are not the quietest of breeds... or is there an alternative small white breed that is quieter? Aylesbury and Pekin are too large for me.

Any help gratefully received.
p.penn

Re: Call Ducks... advise please?

Post by p.penn »

My daughter used to keep call ducks and they are gorgeous. I don't know that much, but as far as I remember I think ducks houses have to be on the ground with no ramp. I can definitely tell you they will need access to water (swimming type) .and also, ducks are much messier than chickens.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Thomassio
Lively Laner

Post by Thomassio »

I haven't had calls so can't help on the noise. I have runners and they would rather sleep outside than walk up a scary ramp! They used to go up 3 breeze block steps though. On the ground would be better IMO.
Calls are the smallest breed before you get into ornamental waterfowl which I know nothing about really.
A bucket of water for them to dunk heads in will suffice, but a tray like an old sand pit, or a paddling pool will be much better and they will spend a lot of time in it.

Piccies when they arrive please!
Hugo025918
Learner Laner

Post by Hugo025918 »

Great, thanks. Should of mentioned also, there will be a nice big pool for them in the run too. The run and coop combo has a very big run so that a nice pool can be accommodated. From my chicken experience I remember starting small and kept expanding... with the ducks I will start larger from the off :)
The ramp is a dilemma though although there is room to put a coop on the ground, it's just that the coop is built in off the ground with a ramp. Are ducks not as agile as chooks, or do they not like heights? Or I could build a step arrangement instead of the ramp if that will help?
Thanks so far :)