cabbage care

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

cabbage care

Post by albertajune »

I was given half a dozen seedlings of cabbage from someone who had grown too many and they are coming along brilliantly. I have planted them in a long deep plant trough and they look as though they are going to be the pointy type of cabbage.
My question is, do the outside leaves need to brought together as with some lettuce to let the hearts form properly?
OH has always been the veg grower and me the flowers, but we have given up one of our allotments and I am growing a bit at home, so want to be a success. He has planted for years but actually knows very little about plants. Always plants too much, never rotation crops and doesn't enjoy weeding. When I go with him I spend all my time, weeding and clearing up. I'll say no more!!
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: cabbage care

Post by lancashire lass »

albertajune wrote:Always plants too much, never rotation crops and doesn't enjoy weeding.

sounds like me {rofwl}

albertajune wrote:they look as though they are going to be the pointy type of cabbage.
My question is, do the outside leaves need to brought together as with some lettuce to let the hearts form properly?

other than firming the soil down round the roots and ensure the plants are well netted against cabbage butterfly / collars against cabbage fly, just leave them to it. They naturally heart up on their own )t'
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: cabbage care

Post by albertajune »

Thanks for the quick reply LL. At this moment they are having a lovely water. Nothing makes them look better than being rained on.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.