Pond weed (oxygenating weed)

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Willow
Legendary Laner

Pond weed (oxygenating weed)

Post by Willow »

I am pulling tons of Canadian Pond weed out of my pond and am composting it... The Pond is very healthy with newts sticklebacks some gold fish etc.. this stuff is sold as oxygenating weed in garden centers..
If anyone is interested, I can send you a bunch or ten no problem!!
Just pm me your address... )t' (f+
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

weeds

Post by melons »

I've put some in my pond when we drained it & re-lined it a couple of years ago, it never really got going again, I've tried a plant called parrots tail before, never again, that was a nightmare for blocking up the pond. I'll see how ours comes back next year, but it is a kind offer, cheers.
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Just give me a shout when you need it Mel... I'm sure I'll still be thining it out in 2008!!!
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
melons
Legendary Laner

ponds

Post by melons »

cheers I may well do that. :-D
We've got a nicely established pond now, it was a nightmare to re-line, the heron had stuck it's beak through the liner, so it was loosing water every day, (we net it now) so we hired a huge plastic thing to put the fish into while we emptied it, now us being what we are, we had to save every wrigling thing we could find in it, it took for ever to catch all the tad poles in a jam jar & take them down to the river which is about 300 yards away, everything that we saw had to be saved, all the sluge out the bottom went to the river too, probably shouldn't have, but all the little wriggly things in there at least got back to some water.
It took us four days to complete it, the pond is reasonably big about 10' x 12' oval, it was a huge job, so think twice anyone before re-linning a pond, move house instead :shock:
Cheers
mel x
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

The only good thing about the solid clay soil here is that we didnt need a liner when we dug the pond... We just hired a digger, spent the day looking like bog monsters and falling on our rumps because the stuff is like slime when wet..
The ground water level is quite high here so 'bob was our uncle' so to speak... all the lilies, Irises etc are planted into the ground and the bull rushes turned up from somewhere.. Another good thing is that to enlarge it, we just have to dig (a lot).. )t'

Albert Einstein
PK
Lively Laner

Post by PK »

...sticklebacks ...

Do you have sticklebacks in your pond? I did not think they would survive out of a river?
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

Hi PK... They do very very well in ponds!! If the conditions are right and they have enough insects to feed on then the do rather too well!! :shock:

Albert Einstein