Vegtable Gardening????

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
OldForum
Lively Laner

Vegtable Gardening????

Post by OldForum »

Alternative Angel
I'm a bit embarrased that I have the four new posts here!! And I'm SURE I have far too much to say LOL.

Please forgive me and just tell me to shut up if you like - I have a very thick skin (and head too probably!)

My question anyway is:

When you know NOTHING (I mean NOTHING) about gardening, plants, vegtables etc. How do you even begin to start growing your own vegtables?

I'm beginning to wonder if I belong here at all But we all have to start somewhere, don't we?

Sorry to be a pain in the a** so soon after joining

Luath
I learned a lot of what I know through reading just about every gardening book I could find. Get them from the library at first , and they'll get any that you request as well. Bob Flowerdew is good to start with on organic gardening; there are also lots of basic how and when to books about. If you get them from the library, then you should avoid expensive mistakes, and only need to buy the ones you really want. Another good source is secondhand books - charity shops, jumbles, etc. Some magazines are good - most libraries supply some for you to read on the premises, such as Amateur Gradening, which is quite good, and easy to read.
Another good introduction is to get to know someone who already grows - in their garden, alotment etc; ask them questions, what they are doing, when they are doing it, why they are doing it, etc. Most gardeners are generous with their advice and you can learn a lot of good solid practical advice from them.
Gardeners World on TV would be a good programme if you are a beginner; maybe your library hires out videos; again they should be able to get any that you might like to borrow.
Hope this helps - I'm sure someone else will be along
to join us soon!

Manda
Hi
I think like so many I knew nothing about gardening..but it's like you said you have to start somewhere...
Like the comment above I talked to old hands at gardening who were so helpful...and gave me loads of cuttings too...it's almost like them ensuring their offspring go forth and prosper!
I started off simply and grew potatoes...lots of them! It was such a boost to my confidence, I felt that if nothing else I would never be short of a spud!
We have a pretty big veggie garden which takes a fair bit to upkeep and thankfully we have a rotivator but I looked into "Lasagne Gardening" which is bascially no dig gardening (if you google it you will get lots of info and see what it's all about and I'm pretty sure if you ask in the library you would be able to get a book on it...Lasagne Gardening by Pat Lanza is one I know of). Anyway we had a go at that and it has been really easy to do it takes less time up with weeding and it's the sort of thing you can do either a one big area or make lots of small gardens which meaning you can adapt it to whatever size you have available.
Anyway just an idea...it's not a new way but I think it's an easy way which when you are new to growing stuff can make the whole thing a bit less daunting. That being said if anyone has an easier way then let me know ...I'm up for it