What are you up to?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
OldForum
Lively Laner

What are you up to?

Post by OldForum »

Richard
What are you up to in the vegetable garden (01/04/07)

Wendy
No vegetable garden I am afraid. But we have been laying turfs on the ploughed field we used to call grass. Then I let the chickens free range everyday !!!
Now it will only be a couple of times a week, they can forage around.
Wendy

Chickenopolis
Hi Richard !I am very excited as my better half has constructed some raised beds for me , we have a large garden but I had a spinal cord tumour removed a while back so cannot bend forward to much as too painful ! This did not stop me from shovelling 2.5 cubic metres of mushroom compost from where it was dropped outside my house to its final resting place in our back garden! i had a few moments daydreaming at work today and wrote down what I had planted and what was in the greenhouse- 20 different varieties of vegetable, I didn't know that I even liked 20 different varieties of vegetable!.
In the raised beds I planted radish and lettuce and both are flourishing,celeriac and thyme,basil and parsley doing well in greenhouse.Oh and asparagus is being picked as i speak.. I am a complete novice so I will learn from my mistakes .
The hens have not shown any interest in the raised beds and as yet, my seedlings have not been trashed by them. They have however,been emptying a tyreless rusty wheelbarrow that i have been filling with compost for my squash!
Here's to a productive summer/ autumn and the pleasure gained by giving friends and family produce from our garden.(I will keep the best for myself though as I didn't get any willing volunteers to help to shift the mushroom compost!!!)

Richard
You all sound much better prepared than me!!

I put over 200 onions in on Saturday / Sunday and various other seeds in the greenhouse.

Good for you Chicken, you're obviously a winner and good on you. Raised beds make me very envious. I'D WATCH THOSE CHICKENS THOUGH::) and Wendy as well.

I've grown potatoes Anna, but won't do them this year. Again, down to time really and the space required for a decent crop.
Do you grow them the orthodox way? I masy put some in buckets, not sure yet.
They are so much better from the garden though.

AnnaB
What is the orthodox way Richard? Don't laugh but we ordered them via email order form the organic gardening site last year. Didn't open the box till Sun and they had all sprouted (some with 6" tails)!! Phoned the company on Mon and he said to leave the 3 best shoots on them and they will be fine. We put them in a trench Mon and hope for the best. I forgot to plant my tomato seeds but they are in now. I have put some in buckets in previous years but the yeild is too small. I don't envy you 200 onions I remember last year planting sets but they are doing really well.
Has anyone used 'elephant grass' as green manure? We planted some in the winter but nothing came up