Jannie's Grow Your Own Diary 2010

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
perchy

Re: Jannie's Grow Your Own Diary

Post by perchy »

jannie wrote:
perchy wrote:Can't do any weeding though unfortunately I have a really bad back +pinn+

So have I ........no excuse.. {warn} .. {rofwl}

I am good at youdoing, you do this and you do that {rofwl}
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Well everything that can be planted has been.. )c(
Yesterday I sowed more round lettuce, broad beans, radish, spring onions and beetroot....all in cells to fill in gaps as they appear.... I can't believe how organised I am... but this is the first year I've been able to put all my efforts into growing produce.....and I am like a 'pig in muck'.. {rofwl}

Is there any thing more beautiful than the 1st courgette flower of the season ???

Or more satisfying than the first perfect round lettuce..

perchy

Post by perchy »

envy}}

You have done a great job and I love the courgette flowers, mine are not looking great and have now been battered by the torrential rain we have had this morning, I spent all day in the garden yesterday tidying up and planting out, am shattered, but today I have been cleaning yike* as I have had a busy week at work and nobody has been here to make a mess +confused+

Well done Jannie, and make sure my cucumbers are ok, I love them chopped with red onions and coriander and cherry tomatoes, accompanied by pate on toast )ot: sorry!!
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Had an unexpected day in the garden today..weather men got it wrong and the sun has shone all day.. :-D

I realised that I have been so busy with bedding plants and weeding that I have fallen behind with sowings of veg to follow on...today I've sown beetroot...looks like I'll be pulling first lot next week so will have a couple of weeks without any.. :oops:, more cos lettuce, salad onions, radish and mixed salad leaves...all in cells to fill in empty spaces as they appear......will have to put reminders in my diary next year so I don't have gaps!!

Then I washed the rest of the pots and put away..nice and tidy by the outside tap now.. )t'

I'm going to pick my first courgette in the next few days .... got to get batteries for the camera first.. )grin2(

'cream crackered' after chopping wood for a couple of hours...but off out with the torch on a slug hunt now..
perchy

Post by perchy »

Jannie, you are so organised and you must get alot of pleasure from doing it all, there is nothing better than being tired from a day in the garden, looking forward to seeing the courgette, I think it will be some weeks or months before I get any }hairout{

We really do need some warmer weather and not this torrential rain we have been having )gr:
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Yes perchy, I am having a lot of pleasure from the garden this year... )grin2( Till now I've always had so much on my plate that the garden has been a chore, this year it is my sanctuary and I am really feeling the benefits...soo happy these days.. )t' ..
I noticed your part of the country had the worst of yesterdays rain...we didn't get a drop! even though it was forecast. I don't think we are going to be so lucky today..the skies are really dark. I'll be putting my courgettes under the veranda if we do get torrential rain.....don't want to loose the babies now.. :-D .
perchy

Post by perchy »

It's very dull now and we expect more rain }hairout{ I have managed to get some plants under cover but it's not much fun being in the garden when it is so muddy, I hope to spend some time in the garden at the week end, I hope the weather improves, we are now into June! You should be very proud of your garden, I wish I had more time really, am off to work shortly and will not be back til 8.30, the good thing is will be able to put the girls to bed :-D

Have managed to get my tumbling tomatoes into hanging baskets, planted them with marigolds, look good, hope I get some tomatoes, the lettuce is doing very well with all the rain, and no slug damage as I put the girls grit all around them )t' I have checked everyday so thats a good tip.

Hope you have a good day :-D
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Picked my first courgette this evening.... )c( .
5 o'clock cut off the plant straight on to the BBQ......yum..yum.. )eat(

Picked another first today ..2 strawberries ...no pictures 'cause my 5yr old and 3yr old granddaughters saw them first and they were in their mouths before I could say "DON'T...eat them all..!!!!!!!!.".. {rofwl}

Everything is growing so fast at the moment....spotted little broad bean pods today, I'm sure they weren't there yesterday... +confused+.....I'm going to have to do a good inspection tomorrow..you never know I might get to the ripe strawberries first..... )t'
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Jannie that looks fantastic )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Thanks stace .....it tasted fantastic too.. )t' ..

...thank goodness the grandkids haven't got a taste for courgettes yet {rofwl}
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I feel terrible, not grown anything at all this year :oops: Not even my garlic. Just lots and lots of flowers. Been out the back tonight chopping back the trees, i cant believe how they have grown over the past weeks. The rain has made the lawns lovely though )t'
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

stace wrote:I feel terrible, not grown anything at all this year

Yes you have!!!!!!!!!!!..baby chooks..... )t' {rofwl}
perchy

Post by perchy »

stace wrote: The rain has made the lawns lovely though )t'

Its all about lawns, lawns, lawns )gr: )gr:

Beautiful courgette, I had some grilled today too Jannie (but they were from asder
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Courgettes....I remeber them. I wonder what on earth has happened to mine? Perhaps they are waiting to be planted out still. I will check tomorrow as your pic has made me hungry!!!!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

This year I have tried a different cucumber...Tyffany F1 hybrid... and wow are they growing )c( ..
With more then 20 fruits on each plant so far ..I think I'm going to be giving a fair few away...... )t'

and this is a pic of my little twin cucumbers..... )grin2(