chilli, pepper & onion ...

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

chilli, pepper & onion ...

Post by lancashire lass »

... seeds are now planted in peat pots and trays in the house. Peppers in particular take nearly a month to germinate, and I'm having one last ditch attempt of growing onion from seed.

In 2006 I sowed pepper seeds in January, then thought may be it was too early but I got loads of fruit that year (the heatwave may have helped a bit :-D ). Last year I waited until March and barely got any fruit at all :cry: So, a January sowing it will be from now on.

My onions from seed have always been disappointing and I have stuck to onion sets since. Last year my friend's harvest was amazing despite the cool wet weather, and his secret was sowing much much earlier than it says on the packet.

Chillis - never grown them before, but in the same category as a pepper :? so I sowed a small batch for now.

Now we wait .....
^b:

Anybody else getting itchy green fingers?
Speckledhen
Lively Laner

Post by Speckledhen »

Thanks for that info on the onions. I have bought some seeds, which according to the packet should be sown in February. I will now get the propogator out tomorrow! Fingers crossed that we both get a good result!

Michele
In a perfect world every dog would have a home, and every home would have a dog - Anon.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

I do, but am unsure as to what to plant! Dont have much success with seeds, ie propogating, but do better by sowing straight in the beds.
Usually get my mum to start the seeds off, and then I get to plant the plants.
(f+
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
Oolalula
Lively Laner

Post by Oolalula »

Oh dear, I've just read this and seeing as it's March already I wonder whether I've missed the boat a bit with my chilli seed sowing!? It's suddenly gone bitterly cold here and seeing as I don't have a heated greenhouse maybe I'm ok holding out a bit for this long?
smallestsmallholding.com
ruralmuse.co.uk
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Last year we started putting in seeds for chillis and peppers during march. They were grown in a polytunnel and we had a fab crop. I made chutney with them and all the cherry toms that we grew and it blows your socks off )c+ hot hot hot )de:
Looove chucks!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

It's a good habit, sowing early.

I always go by the theory that 'either they grow or they don't, but if you sow early, you can sow again and see if it's second, third time lucky.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Im a bit new to veggie growing its my first year Im using the greenhouse properly.

Can I start Peppers,Cucumber and tomatoes off in an unheated Greenhouse or should I wait until the weathers a bit warmer?

Rachel
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

rachell24 wrote:Can I start Peppers,Cucumber and tomatoes off in an unheated Greenhouse or should I wait until the weathers a bit warm

Hi Rachel - I had my seed trays dotted around the house wherever it was warm - even balanced on top of the telly for some "underfloor heating lol) Now that the peppers & chillis have germinated (and still germinating where the stragglers are just popping up), they get moved into the greenhouse during the day where it actually gets very warm when it is sunny, but if there is an overnight frost forecast, I simply bring the trays back indoors and put them out again in the morning.

You could do that to germinate your seeds - warmth is the key, and if a temperature of 20oC is not reached, they may not show for a while. Chillis & peppers take about a month, so go for it IMO :-D
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

just remembered Ive got a propagtor in my shed, just got to find it!

When seeds have germinated in a propagator, do you take them out of there straight away or leave for a bit?

Rachel
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I planted all of my seeds almost 2 weeks ago - peppers toms, beans, peas etc I normally find peppers take a while, but they germinated within the week. All are now in larger pots in the windowsill waiting for the frost to pass.

Rachell -I'd take the lid off once germinated, but leave them in until big enough to handle and repot
Small steps lead to big changes
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

morph wrote:I'd take the lid off once germinated

Oh yes good advice, because they will get more light! But if they are still small (two leaf stage), it is worth putting the lid back on (providing the leaves don't touch the lid) at night to keep the warmth in for a bit longer )t'
Gixer
Lively Laner

Post by Gixer »

Ohhh just found this thread :-D I am growing chilli's at the moment, I grow them all year round, they are from seed in compost and believe it or not they are in the bathroom! they seem to thrive in the humid condition with all the steam from the hot water, Lord only knows why! I have pots of things all over the house, I cant remember the reason the chillis ended up in the bathroom, I think it was because they looked unhappy by the back door, too much of a draught possibly?

I will take a photo of them for you (f+