Onion Sets

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
suffolkhens
Lively Laner

Onion Sets

Post by suffolkhens »

Now that I'm back home, father is on the mend and the sun is shining I'm seriously contemplating getting my onions in. this weekend.

My onion seeds, comfrey seeds and cabbage have all sprouted indoors already.

My only concern is the frosts we've been getting over this way have been evil, does anyone have any advice or should I hold off for a couple of weeks?
Keep It Green
Lively Laner

Post by Keep It Green »

I've got a few things on the go at the moment but some things are more of an experiment. Why don't you just put a small amount out, that way you don't lose big if mr frost gets at your sets. I have a bucket of carrots on the go, they are inside at the moment but they'll go into the cold greenhouse (when I put it up in a week or two)

Thats two names begining with F that kills at this time of year - Mr Frost & Mrs Fox. I'd hate to meet a Frosty Fox
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I'd hold off with the onion sets until later, at least mid-March. Unlike seeds, these are already baby onions - plant them too early and they might bolt later in the year (bolt = send up a flower head) The food and energy instead of being stored in the bulb will go into flower making and you'll end up with an onion that doesn't store well or not even nice to use. ^b:
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Pleased to hear about your Father, must be a relief for you.

I'm afraid I haven't done anything in the garden yet. It'll be my usual mad two days in about 3 weeks time!
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
suffolkhens
Lively Laner

Post by suffolkhens »

Thanks Richard, it's a huge relief. 5 attacks and a stent later and you would never know anything happened. We've been having conversations about his need to downshift!

Thankfully I haven't planted anything out yet as these frosts are unbeleivable. All of the available space we have indoors is now dedicated to seedlings which hopefully we can get out early March.