Pruning back an Acer

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Pruning back an Acer

Post by Richard »

Hi,

Has anyone knowledge on pruning my Acer Bush - getting a tad too big now and a couple of bits are hanging now.

[center]Image

Image[/center]

(Sorry Wendy - Wendy's seen my Acer being showed off for the past six years !! - but I really need to manage it now)

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Pruning back an Acer

Post by Mo »

It's a lovely shape, you don't want to spoil it.

I don't know for sure but think that often pruning advice is 'take whole unwanted branches out'.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Thanks Mo (also seen it grow over the last six years!!) - I've googled it and there's very little spoken about it. Also, it's determining exactly the breed it is.

On the other side to the photo there's a big clump now hanging on the ground.

It is such a lovely plant, everyone who passes comments, it would be such a shame to do something wrong. Thereagain, if I don't, will it die of one day of al sudden.

(Worth a few bob as well I'd imagine!!)

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Hi Richard..I have 2 acers in pots each side of my shed door, so I have to keep them pruned...I was told only to prune mid winter or mid summer..never when the sap is active...this is now the 2nd summer I've pruned and they look great..I just prune till it I like the shape.... )t'
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Whatever you do DON'T do it yet. The plant must be fast asleep and lost the leaves as it is then easier to see what you are doing. The middle might need a bit of a clear out as they do need to breathe. Otherwise trim but keep the shape. It looks fabulous so please be careful. Unless someone can name it in here you could always send a bit to the RHS for identification. Years ago I had an apple tree on my yard and so many guests kept asking me what it was and I hadn't a clue as it was here when we moved in.Itwas a strange tree so I sent a bit to the RHS and it was in fact a cross between an orchard apple and a crab apple. Totally inedible, except by wasps.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Beautiful Acer ours is just a small one a tub but what a sight when the sun is on its leaves. Good luck with the pruning I always get an attack of the nerves even on the roses I do every year ! :-D
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Grannyof4 wrote:Whatever you do DON'T do it yet. The plant must be fast asleep and lost the leaves as it is then easier to see what you are doing. The middle might need a bit of a clear out as they do need to breathe.

I agree in theory Granny. )t' ...but Richards acer looks the same as mine and its near impossible to pick out any dead wood in the winter...I prune mine end june to end july which I find a better time to get the shape right and cut out the dead wood....I think if this acer was mine ...next summer I would just trim the branches that are dragging the ground, cut out any dead wood, trim all the shoots by 1/3 then leave it ....it's beautiful.. :-D
Pingu
Longlasting Laner

Post by Pingu »

Hi Richard

Any convenience pruning should be under taken in April )t' :-D
You've got a nice one there Richard :-D
Animals are my life.
suzy1208
Learner Laner

Post by suzy1208 »

Pingu wrote:Hi Richard

Sorry pingu , that is quite wrong, the sap is rising and will attract insects and fungus attack. I would agree that summer is best time to prune, you will get the best shape.
manda

Post by manda »

Richard ...hubby said prune when dormant so November to February or they bleed and it weakens the specimen....then he started going on about pruning cuts and I glazed over...sorry :oops:
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Pingu
Longlasting Laner

Post by Pingu »

suzy1208 wrote:
Pingu wrote:Hi Richard

Sorry pingu , that is quite wrong, the sap is rising and will attract insects and fungus attack. I would agree that summer is best time to prune, you will get the best shape.

Oh, I would do it in April.

(After edit) I've just checked on the internet and it says to prune the acer in April :?
Last edited by Pingu on 18 Sep 2010, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Animals are my life.
Grannyof4
Legendary Laner

Post by Grannyof4 »

Manda is spot on, well her hubby is, that is why you prune when it is dormant. Thin out any dead wood in the middle and trim the rest as necessary.
suzy1208
Learner Laner

Post by suzy1208 »

Hi everyone. I am the head gardener on a large estate and my speciality is Acers! Whilst I agree that in the amatuer garden, pruning when the plant is dormant is accepted as the norm, as a professional I would always prune at the beginning of July. The cuts heal over quickly in warm weather and as someone has pointed out you will achieve a much better resulting shape. Please whatever you decide to do, not prune in spring or in autumn you will cause irreparable damage to what is a remarkable specimen
perchy

Post by perchy »

suzy1208 wrote:Hi everyone. I am the head gardener on a large estate and my speciality is Acers! Whilst I agree that in the amatuer garden, pruning when the plant is dormant is accepted as the norm, as a professional I would always prune at the beginning of July. The cuts heal over quickly in warm weather and as someone has pointed out you will achieve a much better resulting shape. Please whatever you decide to do, not prune in spring or in autumn you will cause irreparable damage to what is a remarkable specimen

)b( )b(
Pingu
Longlasting Laner

Post by Pingu »

Sorry. I will take back what I said about pruning in April. If you're going to prune it, I personally would prune it during November to February as recommended by the RHS.
Animals are my life.