Composting

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

You have just reminded me about my compost bin, i was meant to ring my council, they supply them too, but at a cost but its cheaper then ones you buy though )t'

My mum and dad have been taking my chicken poo/straw when i clean out the coop! It's my turn to reap the benifits now!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
annebw
Lively Laner

Post by annebw »

lou wrote:You have just reminded me about my compost bin, i was meant to ring my council, they supply them too, but at a cost but its cheaper then ones you buy though )t'

My mum and dad have been taking my chicken poo/straw when i clean out the coop! It's my turn to reap the benifits now!

What a shame you can't get a free one. I thought everyone could.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

i had to pay for mine although i got a heavy discount via the council.
Bah Humbug
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

in mine i put, grass cuttings, chicken poo on woodshavings, rabbit poo in wood based litter, veg peelings, old flowers, teabags, coffee grinds, old compost, and bits of newpaper, mixed well with a sprinkle of compost granules, i tranfer it to another compost bin to turn it, its amazing how hot the middle is when its turned, i made my bins out of pallets.

littlefeat
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi

I couldn't get mine free either, but got a discount from the council, £7 each i have 2 so while i am filling one the other is rotting well, have about 3 trees at bottom of the garden 100foot high so loads and loads of leaves, leave them in piles behind things to rot a bit before they go in the compost bin, luckily this year haven't had to buy any compost for all my pots. Why don't you use some pee pee instead of these compost granules as this speeds up the process i don't put pee pee in as have 2 bins, but every now and again maybe once a month you could get your other half to half a leek in it, accelerates the process. If i find a worm i put that in the compost bin, when i dig them out there are loads of worms millions in fact, transfer a few of them into the other one as well, and few to chooks let the chooks have a good dig through before putting in pots.

I even fill my neighbours pots

Got some free bark chip today for my chook run apparently the council where giving it away free, but a clause in the eu thingy classed it as industrial waste, so they have left it in a big pile off a dual carriage a little road and i was told you could just help yourself it isn't advertised, absolutely massive steaming piles about 30 foot high. Its a shame it isnt advertised as loads of people must buy it what a waste, lovely stuff smelled of pine. My chooks will smell sweet for a bit.
Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I was told that if you use urine in your compost heap it has to be male - it sounds plausible doesn't it (hormones and all that).

Could someone tell me whether chicken poo has to be rotted down before use. If so, for how long? I am at present picking mine up from the grass/flowerbeds and sticking it in the composter but have seen sacks of chicken manure outside gates and wondered if you can just leave it where it falls!
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

I don't know if urine has to be male-I use my own and anyone elses available. I just slosh some on every now and then as it helps warm the compost and keep the process going,as does animal dung. As to whether you put chicken poo in your bin-it depends what you will use it for. Animal poo has a concentrated load of nutrients,which is great for established plants,but will cause new seedlings to go crazy and burn themselves out,making leggy weak plants. The problem with leaving it where it falls,is that if it is fresh it can burn the plants roots. I reckon it would be ok to let it rot down in sacks and then use as a fertiliser. I think I would leave it where it falls and see how the plants do.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Just a note to add to this topic, regarding widdling (I like that word 8) )on your compost. :oops: I have got Bob Flowerdew's book out of the library called 'Go Organic.' He says it is sensible to recycle widdle if local regulations allow it, as it is wastefull to use a couple of gallons of water to flush away a rich source of fertility. You can also put it on your lawn as well, save it in a bucket, each days collection can be diluted 20 - 1, and watered on last thing at night.

Sounds sensible to me, and think about how many times you won't be flushing the toilet, saving money if you are on a meter, like me :-D

Bob's book is an easy to read, usefull guide to organic gardening, with loads of stuff on making compost, controlling pests and diseases, and growing in containers. look here if you want to check it out

Ilona
)t'
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Ha Ha Ha!!! Just had a real 'picture that' moment!! Somehow it seems easier for a man to oblige with the compost bin than a woman....... :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I supply a jug for Mr Stace outside the back door!

It also goes around the chicken run!! )t'

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Cathy
Learner Laner

Post by Cathy »

I have always composted and like some I get a real thrill of what I have created, I have at the moment 4 bins on the go, and somehow they all get in a muddle and badly managed but alas I get the good stuff eventually. I use natural accelerators like nettles but wait for it..also ................... mens pee. My mum convinced me and she is the "God" of composting!!!! I dont go around collecting urine but when my husband is in the garden and needs a wee I tell him to pee in the compost and having to two sons I have got them to do this. I dont insist upon it. I know it sounds gross. I dont encourage them to do this anywhere else. And its only Mens pee not womens. Happy peeing.
Cathy
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Hmm, starting a debate here about which is best pee for the compost LOL. Hope this is more helpful than guesswork ^b:

Only male human pee can be used to mark territory when you have fox or deer invaders as it contains testosterone - this warns the offenders to stay off your property.

Any pee from any animal is good for compost bins )t' . Urine contains the waste products of protein/amino acid breakdown in the body and is rich in nitrogen compounds (eg urea) which you are pouring over the compost. Bacteria break this down very quickly to release ammonia which also assists in the decomposition of the vegetable matter in the composter - it speeds it up quite considerably, so can also be called an activator.

BTW, nitrogen is the stuff that makes plants grow lush & green and is also found in a large percentage of manure (which probably also contains a lot of urine ...)

:-D ta-da!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Another useful, active and can only be described as magic ingredient for the composter is ...

leaves from comfrey (also known as knitbone etc)

Absolutely rich in minerals such as potassium, and you would do well to layer leaves in the potatoe trenches when planting out the spuds )t' Comfrey patches on allotments are not just there for the flowers to attract the bees (which they do)

If you do decide to have your own comfrey, see if you can get hold of a variety called Bocking 14 - it is a sterile flower so won't spread by seeds, only by root cuttings. Comfrey roots go very deep and are difficult to dig up successfully, so site your patch very carefully to avoid it becoming a problem ^b: