shelters for my seeds and other small plants

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Photobucket

Wooden shelves that I salvaged free from work. I covered it in heavy plastic, (I got a massive roll from a car boot sale for £3.50) The plastic blue trays I got out of the rubbish bin at the back of the fast food takeaway. They just hold 20 plastic drinks cups from the coffee machine at work. Cut holes in the bottom with nail scissors for drainage.

shelters

I had one of those mini greenhouses but it wasnt big enough, so I built an extension with the metal poles from an old pop up gazebo that broke. I already had the metal red shelves in my office.

Photobucket

These shelters are against the side of my garage, the best spot for the most sun. I can cover the fronts with the plastic, clipped together with those big market stall clips. They are filling up fast with my seed trays. Coming along I have brocolli, tomatoes, onions, cucumbers, courgettes, dwarf beans, peas, and cauliflower. These will all be planted out into my raised beds when they are big enough. Potatoes are planted in compost bags and sacks. I'm looking forward to a good summer.

Ilona
)c(
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

You're just too tidy Ilona!!

They are really impressive and to be serious, for a frugaly designed set up, they are tidy.

Hope they all get through this cold.

Luckily I'm late with a lot of sowing, but with the exception of Runner Beans, I'm growing everything in containers this year just to experiment.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I try to be tidy, Richard.
I have been experimenting today, you know the large square bottles of water you get, (I don't buy them any more, gone back to tap water), if you lay them on the side, and cut all around the now 'top', about a third down but leaving it attached at one end to form a hinged lid. Then cut drainage holes in the now 'bottom, fill with compost, and you have an instant propagator.
Photobucket

I ran out of white plastic seed labels, so I cut up an empty square margarine tub into strips.

Get it for free if you can.
Ilona
Last edited by Meanqueen on 25 Mar 2008, 13:51, edited 1 time in total.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

Post by AnnaB »

Ilona

You are full of tips, well done!

Anna

ps don't have any margarine tubs as we only use butter.