cold frames

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
rachell24
Lively Laner

cold frames

Post by rachell24 »

Ive just bought a couple of cheap cold frames. If its forecast for frost like it is tonight, do I have to bring all the plants back inside the greenhouse, or can I leave them in the frame? It dosnt have a bottom, just a polythene covering over the tops and sides.

Also, my greenhouse isnt heated and since the last frost all my seedlings have popped up. Do I need to give them some extra protections, like cucumbers, peppers etc when its frosty?

)hlp>

Rachel
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

I would definitely give extra protection in the greenhouse. I have just potted on quite a lot of pak choi and red salad bowl lettuce and up until now it was under a non-heated propagator cover. Last night I left it uncovered in the greenhouse and it has wilted quite a bit. My chillis, cucumbers and melons all suffer if they are not under cover in the greenhouse on a very cold night. I'm leaving the heating on tonight as I have peanut plants coming through and they do not like the cold, they need it to be a minimum of 10 degrees.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Thanks Rob, might bring them inside then as havnt really got anything to cover them with in the greenhouse.

Are there any seeds that will cope with the frost or do I need to bring them all in?

Have got:- Lupins, Delphs, cucumbers, toms, peppers, basil, thyme etc, sweat peas, beans, peas, garlic, strawbs, (this is like the generation game, I cant remember them all!LOL) sunflowers, onions, (not sets, seedlings) think thats about it. Blimey, thats going to be a job bringing all those in if I have to.

Rachel
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

dont know what SWEAT peas are :shock: , Ive got sweet peas though. LOL
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

rachell24 wrote:Thanks Rob, might bring them inside then as havnt really got anything to cover them with in the greenhouse.

Are there any seeds that will cope with the frost or do I need to bring them all in?

Have got:- Lupins, Delphs, cucumbers, toms, peppers, basil, thyme etc, sweat peas, beans, peas, garlic, strawbs, (this is like the generation game, I cant remember them all!LOL) sunflowers, onions, (not sets, seedlings) think thats about it. Blimey, thats going to be a job bringing all those in if I have to.

Rachel

Cucumbers, toms, strawberries, peppers especially don't like the cold in my experience. Some people start peppers off in the airing cupboard - if they don't have heating in the greenhouse, as they don't need light at first. My basil seems fine in the cold, although it's still in the greenhouse.

I'm also keeping blueberries and blackberries inside until the frost has gone.

Nasturtium, marigolds, calendula, pansy, phlox, aster, forget-me-nots don't seem too bothered, but all seeds/seedlings will respond better to warmth and warm soil. If you have electricity to your greenhouse, you could try a warming mat, or failing that a window ledge inside until things warm up. I'v brought the aubergines inside as well as some experimental chili peppers that I don't want to lose. Although we have heating in the g/house we are trying to go fully organic and as self-sufficient as we can so I want to plant earlier so I'll be investing in three or four large propagators for next year. And a very large polytunnel if Mrs H agrees.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

OOh a polytunnel, the things dreams are made of. LOL

Frost danger has passed up north, well where I am anyway, so they are all still in the greenhouse. Got confused before, Peppers and cucumbers are still on my kitchen windowsill.

Ive not planted any potatoes, do you think its too late to bother buying any?

Rachel
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

I don't think so - a good rule of thumb, some say, is to plant on good friday, but as that changes every year, and sometimes can be later in april, I still have got mine in yet. They will be going in this week. I am moving thirty strawberry plants, and waiting for another twenty to be sent from Suttons, to another patch, to use the old patch for potatoes. Not forgetting crop rotation, leave at least a three year gap before potatoes are planted in the same ground.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

rachell24 wrote:Frost danger has passed up north, well where I am anyway, so they are all still in the greenhouse. Got confused before, Peppers and cucumbers are still on my kitchen windowsill.

Rachel

Oh yes?!!?
You're 30 miles nearer the Penines than us, and we woke to thick snow and the hens wouldn't come out!
We are mid Cheshire, and we've had young growths frosted off the holly bushes at the end of May.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I know, couldnt believe it. I checked the Met office last night as well before I went to bed and there was no mention of snow.

It had more or less gone though by the time we got up.

My seedlings have lived to tell the tale.
Rob_h
Lively Laner

Post by Rob_h »

rachell24 wrote:
My seedlings have lived to tell the tale.

Glad to hear it! I had the opposite trouble today as it got to 32 degrees in the greenhouse and all of the bowl lettuce that I had just potted on started wilting (all 30 plants). I must invest in an automatic vent opener.
Tania
Lively Laner

Post by Tania »

I must invest in an automatic vent opener.

Lol! Not for your chickens I hope )t'
See my chickens HERE!!
New pictures, ex-batts added 4/11/07