Mushrooms - any tips?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
saint-spoon

Mushrooms - any tips?

Post by saint-spoon »

Has anyone tried growing their own and if so any top-tips?
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I would be interested in the answer to that, as well. I am trying them in the garage at the moment, in a plastic container, on compost. They may not do anything though because it says on the packet they should be sown on straw or manure.
Wonder if anything will come up???

Ilona
:?
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Hi MQ Where did you get the mushroom spore stuff from please. Never fancied the packets in the shops. I have horses who are on chopped straw but I could always put a bale of ordinary straw down if I could get mushrooms.
leah S
Lively Laner

Post by leah S »

I got one of the kits in a box it had all the details on how to do it but they didn't match what was in the box i asked at the garden center and they told me what to do and )c( no mushrooms so i have given up and tipped it on to my garden, sorry i know this is no help
I love chickens and i have always wanted some my mum say's i cant be hers
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I had one of those kits too - and the instructions seemed a bit odd compared to what was in the box. Tried, but nothing either!
Small steps lead to big changes
ged
Lively Laner

Mushrooms

Post by ged »

:-D
Oyster mushroom spawn sown into damp barley straw,hung in corner of shed,bag slashed in places to allow air and fungi will grow out of slit area.Plastic has to be strongish and BE Patient!
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
leah S
Lively Laner

Post by leah S »

morph wrote:I had one of those kits too - and the instructions seemed a bit odd compared to what was in the box. Tried, but nothing either!

I went back to my garden center and they told me what to do as i had different bags to what was stated on the box, it is now tipped on the garden i was looking forward to fresh rooms
I love chickens and i have always wanted some my mum say's i cant be hers
ged
Lively Laner

Mushrooms

Post by ged »

Hi,
I shall be ordering some innoculated logs this weekend,it seems to be cheaper to buy 4 than 1 due to postage.I was going to Ragmans farm but have seen a post that they have sold out,will investigate further and let interested parties know.Mushrooms have gone up by 25% in our local ggs!
atb
ged )c+
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
ged
Lively Laner

mushrooms

Post by ged »

8)
Hi All,
have ordered 2 innoculated logs from Ragmans lane farm,my order was accepted,so can conclude they have more stock.Will advise as to when they arrive and subsequent further adventures in mushroom cultivation.
atb
ged )c+
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
ged
Lively Laner

mushrooms....

Post by ged »

Hi,
Had an email from Ragmans lane,my logs are on their way!
atb
ged )t' ^b: )c+
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

i believe these are hard to grow i once purchased a polystyrene box complete and nothing , so now think its cheaper to buy them for the chickens, along with there other favourite spinach
ged
Lively Laner

Mushrooms

Post by ged »

Hi All,
The on- going saga of my logs continues....they had been sent back to Ragmans lane farm as undeliverable....so,they are being sent out again!I find all of this amusing in an ironic sort of way,its only 2 small logs after all,no wonder the P.O is in a state!
Watch this space for more exciting adventures of the much travelled logs!
atb
ged )t'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

ged i keep my fingers crossed for you , and await to hear what happens, and my guess is , that this order will sadly be cancelled, BUT i do hope not , anyhow how are you all doing , my parsnips are coming along well in the new rain piping i got for free, the tomatoes and strawberries are blooming , the 6 girls are wonderful, and the copost bin is filling nicely, made them 6 babes mash and corn tonight for a treat as we ate mash with corn and its all gone, i go in there and there jumoing all over me, thee just apart from the ADHD children on my bus them chickens and them children made me so very happy, i have now as i dont work all day donated a few hours to help others here in the community, wether it be shopping and collecting them in a special bus , or taking them to hospitals , its really pleasing my life now, and i get to learn more people and for me this is a plus as i never used to venture out the door , i was relatively a mouse
ged
Lively Laner

Mushrooms

Post by ged »

Hi,
well done Sharon!
atb
ged )t'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.