BeeHive

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Bee Diary 3

Post by Citrine »

Well, well, well, what an amazing weekend we've just had!!!

Basically, our other hive arrived on Saturday, and we decided we will have to sell it on - its not the same as our original one, its a National, and is a lot smaller, so the frames arent interchangable. So, hubby rubs it down, and gives it a lick of paint. He calls me away from baking a Cranberry and Coconut cake ) c+ to go and look outside, where there is a bee, inspecting the hive.
6 or 7 bees later, nothing much else happens - they dive in and out, but not much else.
Hubby goes down the allotment to do some watering. on his way back, the neighbours are bemoaning that they arent allowed to get across the railway track, because of a Wasps nest. (Health and Saftey!)
Well, hubby decides to go take a look, and its actually a Honey Bee swarm.
We ring our mentor, who doesnt answer his phone, and so we get kitted up, and go for a baptism of fire!!!
Cardboard box, sheet, smoker, lighter, blah blah blah. We are also given a hi-vis do dah to wear, so the bees can see us-no, so the train drivers see us. We were under a great deal of pressure, as we had to get them before the next train came along - we were right next to the line, it was a rather scary!
Our escapades are watched by bemused train passengers on the platfrom, and our neighbours who thought it was hilarious, and took pics of us on their mobile phones.
We picked our way round to the tree, and tried to light the smoker. Blooming thing decided not to play ball, so I just got the branch, and hubby held the box, and 'scooped' the bees in. Hoping we had the Queen, we scooped even more bees in. Blimey, the box was Sooooo heavy, it was unbelievable! We noticed that the bees had started to make wax on the branch.
We gathered the bees in the box, and wrapped it up in the sheet. We had to give the hi-vis vests back, but forgot that they were covered in bees!! he he he!! the gatekeeper wasnt too impressed! he he he he! )j;
We walk back to our house, and again, the neighbours took more pics of us - should have charged them, they're morons anyway - and took straight throught the house and to the awaiting hive.
We sort of tipped them into the brood chamber, and they seemed happy to stay there. Think the time of day was on our side, as by this time it was 20:30, and they wanted to settle down.
So, now we are proper Apiarists. Our mentor will come and visit in a couple of days time, and he advised that we need to make up a feeder (50/50 white granulated sugar and water) to make them stay.
Phew!!! What an exciting day!!!!!!!!!!! )c( (f+ )c( (f+ (f+ )t'
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

wow, how cool is that Citrine! What are the odds on that happening just where you live.

this probably sounds a bit silly, but you know the bees that get left behind, what happens to them? Do they form another swarm or jsut buzz around forever on their own?

Rachel
wendy

Post by wendy »

You are real 'proffessionals' now...I am impressed
You must let us know if they manage to stay
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

aha, Rachel, my question too!!

They either go back to the original colony, or, if the swarm is close enough, and they can find them, they will join the new colony.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

so why does a swarm happen? Is there a queen in this swarm or will that be decided in the new hive?

Rachel
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

A swarm happens because a new queen has been made, so the old queen hives off - swarms - to find a new home.

It can be controlled, by taking out the frame wth the queen cell, and some of the brood, and placing it in a new hive.

Swarming is natures way of 'making' new broods, and ensuring there are plenty of Honey Bee's.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

that was lucky having bees moving into your area all on their own. how long until you get some honey
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

So have you got the nucleus as well? And both hives full.
It is really useful to have a spare hive, gives you extra scope if the colony really wants to split, rather than cutting out queen cells like mad and hoping you dont lose a swarm and all your honey (which can happen if you miss an inspection due to bad weather, and a new queen hatches).
Mind you, I think you are right to go for interchangeable hives.

Have you got access to an extractor? (like a spin drier, but for getting honey out of combs)

Good luck with them.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

No Mo, no access yet!! Things seemed to go quite quickly, I was all for plodding and adding to our kit, and then all of a sudden this happens!!

Will be joining our local group when they get round to responding to my various e-mails!! (maybe I should ring.....)
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

...have nother swarm to collect!!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

:oops:

erm, I no longer have any bees!!! They decided to pack their bags and tootle off!!

However, I am going to a Bee Keepers meeting at the end of May, and a beginners course in June. Hopefully, I will get put 'on the right track'!!!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Bee Diary 4

Well, got a call from my neighbour to say there is another swarm! Hmm, think it might be the one we collected yesterday, and they are leaving...managed to get out of work half hour early (gee, thanks for that!) to go and investigate.
In the paddock, hanging from a Damson tree, is a big ball of Honey Bee's. I go and check the hive at the end of the garden - seems to be OK, plenty of the little bees going in and out, so maybe its not the same swarm.
Have an appointment at 16:30, so cant do anything about the 'new' swarm - besides, dont have another hive to put them in!
Panic - get on the 'puter, look up local bee keepers, and ask for advice. First chap I get hold of, says its more than likely MY bees. Damn. Then gives me a lecture on using Langstroths, instead of Nationals -"..everybody uses Nationals, I use Nationals" . Not particularly helpful.
Ring another, much friendlier chap - in fact, I am invited along to the next BeeKeeping meeting at the end of the month. Am going along, as this experience is making me feel rather foolish! He is sending me info, and told me how to proceed with the Swarm.
Must get the bees into a box, and wait until they have stopped flying around, to allow any straglers to catch up. Wrap the box up with a sheet, and place the box in front of the hive. Give them a material covered ramp to walk up into the hive - they will do this instinctively, and they need to material for grip! Ensure the Queen excluder is in place, or they will just fill themselves up with food and fly again.
Great, what brilliant advice!
So, go to find the swarm - the lady whose paddock they are in OFFERS that I could keep a hive on her land!! Fabulous!!
Get all my kit ready, so I can collect them a bit later on.
2 hours later, go and see how they are doing (appointment over ran somewhat!). They have gone. Not a sausage left, no sign.
So, now I have to go and check my hive, just in case.
Empty, none left.
Annoyed now, its not going as well as I thought..... :oops:
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Hang in there, it'll all turn out fine in the end.
Bah Humbug
ged
Lively Laner

bee hive

Post by ged »

:)
Hi Citrine,
I have nothing but admiration for the way you have conducted yourself in your bee adventures.Try to view all your experiences as part of the bigger picture,even setbacks and disappointments are learning curves.I look forward along with all other forum members to your continued posts.
atb
ged ^b:
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I totally agree with Ged, it's another foray into the unknow for all of us (although you are the actual forayer on our behalf) and we look forward to each and every installment....
Bah Humbug