How is your veg growing?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Haven't been out yet Rachel, been on here for an hour., I'll go soon. I only got 2 last night because it was dry. Best time is when it's raining. I am convinced it works, because all those I got last year haven't been able to produce trillions of babies. Yes, I find it satisfying that it's me that's going to get the food, not them.
Ilona
)c(
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

I know, I love it when its raining at night as I know Ill get LOADS.

Our neighbours must think people like us are nuts. I had neighbours once who put lights on their heads like pot holers. I used to think they were mad until I got into gardening. Im a bit more discreet with my 99p torch.

Happy hunting.

Rachel
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

I was on about getting one of those torches for my head, so I not restricted by my torch. It'll come in really useful when I'm turning my horse out in the dark, and don't have to hold her, hold the torch, and fumble with the locks on the gates!!!

Will wait until the winter, as I obviously don't need it at the mo!!!

Defintely look like a nutter though! )j;
Small steps lead to big changes
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

thought I would bore you all to death with my little veg plot.

Photobucket

garlic,raspberries

no casualties form the menace slugs today. )c(
ged
Lively Laner

veg growing

Post by ged »

:) Hi,
Heat and dehydration are my concerns at the moment.Tomatoes are wilting and need support already,potatoes have slowed in growth and courgettes wilting also,everything else ok.I get full sun in the rear garden from about 1pm,am watering night and morning,hope not to loose crops like last year due to weather fluctuations.It is warmer here than in Cyprus!I am definitely not a 'hothouse flower'(or possibly a weed)
I spent a bit of time in the artic circle so prefer cooler climate.
atb
ged ^b: )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Rachel that is so cute, I think you should steal the title for the most tidiest garden, from me!
Are you going to dig the garden up to plant out all your veggies? Ha ha. )j;

I am also inspecting for watering throughout the day at the moment, Ged. It can catch you unawares. I am waiting to go in for an operation, so when that happens I hope we have some rain, or it's all neighbours to the hose pipe, please!

Ilona (f+
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

thats the posh end, Ill take a piccy later of the clampet end with the trampoline in and the chickens! LOL

Im watering in the day as well, the soil on some of my pots in the greenhouse is like concrete. No wonder my basil has snuffed it.

Anna-question about your basil/herbs in general, do prick out individual seedlings in pots or do you put a few in?

Rachel
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

After a promising start (with twenty pots and three varieties) all but two of my tomato seeds sprouting and promising my excess to folk they have fallen over one by one. Initial success with chilli peppers is slightly better. Sorrel and oregano looking good but a way off harvest. Garlic chives and spring onions batch one all gone, radishes doing ok and will be my first crop this year with any luck next week. I think that it’s the cold followed by the hot and back to cold that’s doing it; either that or I’m just rubbish at growing stuff…..
Bah Humbug
ged
Lively Laner

hows your veg...

Post by ged »

:) Hi,
Been like an oven here today,but my barometer is swinging toward change so I hope for cooler weather?I am still sowing seed in the hope that if I loose the majority of the summer crop,I can do something over winter?
atb
ged ^b: )t'
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

How is your veg growing?

Post by AnnaB »

Rachel
We always find room for things. I had loads of grow bags on the patio last year (hadn't used them before), I was very disappointed with the outcome of them. We had others in the garden and they did well. I never prepare them for the freezer just pick as soon as they are ripe and pop into a big drawer in the freezer.
When we use them for cooking they have to be skinned - run them under cold water and the skin come off easily. This must be the reverse of dipping them in boiling water and then cold.....
How was the bread??
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

bread was yummy thanks Anna, I tried millk loaf last night, didnt taste much different but t I preferred the texture than the normal loaf, especially toasted. sorry. )ot:
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: veg growing

Post by Mo »

ged wrote::) Hi,
Heat and dehydration are my concerns at the momentged ^b: )t'

Next time Mo, listen to your Uncle Ged.

Those lettuce seedlings have scorched and vanished!
ged
Lively Laner

veg growing,

Post by ged »

:-D
Hi,
Planted butternut squash seeds,brussels and broccoli today,planting out beetroot and carrots tomorrow.evrything else seems to have survived the heat,though mini cues and courgettes seem a little slow.Weather supposed to be cooler over weekend but my barometer says no change here at the moment.Hows everyone else doing?
atb
ged (f+
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

youve been busy Ged!

I potted on about four strawberry plants this morning before my baby was woken up by some workman outside )de:

But at the weekend I put some of my ten thousand tomato plants and cucmbers in their grow bags.

Ive seen some flowers on some of my strawberries from last year. YUM. Also seen the start of flowers on my rasberries (are they flowers or do they go straight to fruit-never grown them before) and my redcurannts have flowered and are now green berries. Nothing on my blackcurrants, but not grown these before so dont know if thats normal.

Ive planted three melon seeds, lets see what happens! Not holding my breath.

Ive lost some sweat peas and ordinary pea plants to the slugs and its really made me FED UP as I havnt got any back ups. I HATE THEM :cry:

Rachel
AnnaB
Legendary Laner

How is your veg growing?

Post by AnnaB »

Spring onions, beetroot, spinach beet and swede seeds were planted last Sat - today the swede are up??
I expect the rain that we are now having will wash them away!

Carrot and parsnip seeds are in and most of the plants from the greenhouse.

Parsley still hasn't germinated.