Dryad's saddle

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
chickenofthewoods
Learner Laner

Dryad's saddle

Post by chickenofthewoods »

Hello all! From childhood I've always been an inveterate forager and now that spring's well and truly sprung there really is loads out there to find.

This one's a 'first' for this year for me - the previous one I'd had last year was, although young, just too tough to try cooking with. I got lucky this time though, and found one in perfect and very fresh condition.
After prepping by cleaning up the stalk, I cut it into thinnish slices.
These were then coated in a vinegar batter and deep fried (gives a slight tang and is very crispy) then served with some battered dandelion flowers and a chilli and garlic sweet and sour sauce.
I was really pleased with the result - in spite of the fungi having an uninspiring aroma which is described by Steve Brill as similar to melon rind, the texture was pleasant and it cooked well. Next time I'll marinade it as he recommends and see how it turns out.
Overall, I'd say definitely worth investigating - but only if you can find a really fresh young specimen that isn't tough and leathery to the touch.

(f+
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

mmh, that looks yummy. Knowing me Id posion myself If I went picking Fungi.

:shock:
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Im interested in the Dandelion heads - do you know you can make a really nice wine out of Dandelion heads?? What do they taste like deep fried??
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
morph
Longlasting Laner

Post by morph »

Yes, as dandilions are abundent, then anything with leaves or flowers would be good to hear about. I pick the leaves and give them to my chicks at the moment.
Small steps lead to big changes
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Me too Morph!! They like the flowers too... (f+
*Di*
Lively Laner

Post by *Di* »

Wow, thats very clever.... looks yummy.... )t'
Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday...
chickenofthewoods
Learner Laner

To be honest, the dandelion heads don't taste of anything much but did make a pleasantly crispy addition to the meal and it's nice to make use of them. I'd do wine but I'm not sure I have the space to set it all up this year (trying to keep the house tidy so we can sell up & follow a dream).

I like to collect snippets of info for medicinal/culinary uses of wild foods & one day during my browsings I found a bunch of recipes on an american website* which is what inspired me to give them a go. Have a look, it seems there's lots of other things to do with them!

* http://www.mountain-breeze.com/kitchen/ ... index.html
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Well, you know what thye say about dandilions.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Thanks chickenofthewoods, will take a peek...
wendy

Post by wendy »

Wow that looks yummy. Welcome to the forum
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

you and me both rachel,my luck it would be a magic mushroom
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Looks great. I love anything mushroomy, but scared to pick the wrong one and arrive at the Pearly Gates with tummy ache!

Really interesting and informative, thanks for posting that
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
chickenofthewoods
Learner Laner

Thanks for the welcome!

:-D I know what you mean, fungi were the last thing I ventured towards on my lifelong self-taught foraging adventure.

I really didn't feel terribly brave to begin with, and I will never allow myself to get careless or casual around them but there are plenty to find that are easy to id correctly and fairly safe to try (I'll be honest here, there are a percentage of folks who don't react well to some so it's best to be circumspect, but unless you're very silly indeed and haven't done your research properly very few will actually kill you).

Anyways, now that I am braver I've found and tried Chicken of the Woods, Shaggy Ink Cap, Parasols and Shaggy Parasols, Morels, Winter Chanterelles, Dryads Saddle, Giant Puffball, Beefsteak Fungus, Velvet Shank, Wood Blewits and Jelly Ear.

Apart from anything else, it's fascinating to be able to look and really see the largely ignored potential all around you. I love foraging! (f+