Mystery white layer in soil: please help

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Emma
Lively Laner

Mystery white layer in soil: please help

Post by Emma »

I've been removing the slabs that formed a small patio, and while digging throught the very compacted soil underneath, I've found a layer of white material about a spade depth down. It appears to be under the entire patio area, but I've not found it anywhere else in the garden.

It's about the texture of hardened brick mortar, grainy, white and coming up in 3/4inch clumps. It does break down with afew goes with the spade, into smaller lumps and some grainy particals. The soil underneath the layer seems about the same as elsewhere.

From old photos of the garden the patio has been there atleast 8 years, but possibly much much longer. The house was built in the 30's.

The reason I'm trying to describe it is that from the same description my mum is worried it may be aspbestos, and I'd be gratefull to hear whatanyone else thinks it might be.
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I'd have thought it more likely to be the foundation of an old outbuilding made from that slab type concrete.

Asbestos is usually flaky in texture and kind of rough to the hands.

However, it could have been someone taking the easy way out and dumping it there, but in one piece that big, seems unlikely.
I would suggest contacting the Local Council. Not sure what Department though.

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Emma
Lively Laner

Post by Emma »

Thanks for the prompt response Richard. Being my mothers daughter I tend to leap on, and worry over, the unlikely stuff!

Whatever this is, it is grainy and not flaky, and having checked some government wbsites, I don't think it is asbestos. However I will ask our neighbours if they've ever found it in their houses, and find "someone who knows" to double check.

I guess it could have been an outbuilding, I'll have to ask if there was a shed or toilet out there at one point.