melon plants

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
kdoc
Lively Laner

melon plants

Post by kdoc »

hi i need some advice on melons.I have grown some from seed and there are no instructions as to wether they need to be indoors ,etc.I don't have a greenhouse and I live on the side of a hill where the wind blows a majority of the time.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
Karen
ps don't know what sort they are it was one of those childrens seed Kits :oops:
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

Hi there,

I bought some Melon seeds for the first time this year. Mine are Giallo. Ive read up a bit about them and I think you can grow them outside if you live in a nice sunny part of the UK and sheltered.

Im in the north so mine are staying in the greenhouse! My seedlings are getting quite big, cant wait to get them in their final positions. Not that I know where that is yet, havnt got much room with all my thousands of tom plants, pepppers, cucumbers, strawberries......................

I think they grow quite big, but in my greenhouse book the author says she puts them in growbags and just gets three out of each plant. she says its a bit of a luxury taking up all that space but its worth it. You need to support the fruit as well I think. But hey, this is only what Ive read. Maybe someone will come along soon who has grown them. (f+
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

What's the good of a childrens kit without instructions confused>

Have you got a sunny south-facing wall you could put a grow bag up against? Or a bit of old fence panel that could provide shelter on the N side. I've never grown melons, but we grew tomatos agaist the S wall successfully.
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

Hi thanks,
can't grow them in bags on floor as have lots of bunnies in garden that think it is a five star restaurant :cry:
When I moved in last year found out the hard way :cry: but wouldn't change a thing.Joys of being a townie moving to rural.
Didn't seem to like my tomatoes (f+
Karen
rachell24
Lively Laner

Post by rachell24 »

how high can rabbits jump up? I'm turning my grow bags on its end so its tall and wont take up as much space on the floor. Would that stop them?

Rach
kdoc
Lively Laner

bunnies

Post by kdoc »

Well mine managed full body length height and jumped onto patio table,clever little devils.They have also burrowed under a tree and wall.They sit on top of the wall and look in bathroom window!
My neighbour(a mile away) has lots of deterrants and uses plastic bottles to put over the bottom of plants
Karen
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Just found some info on melons in my other library book, The Allotment Book by Andi Clevely. Sun and heat loving crop, can be grown outdoors where 90 or more days of warm summer days can be guaranteed, or grow in greenhouse. Pot on if plants become rootbound, into bigger pots or growbag. Pinch out growing tips after 4 - 5 true leaves to encourage sideshoots. Train side shoots one to each corner of a frame, or two in opposite directions, stop these after 5 leaves, further side shoots bear flowers, then stop them after 2 leaves. Train stems vertically on nets or strings. in a greenhouse. Suspend ripening fruits in nets. Water freely when dry, feed every 10 - 14 days, ventilate. Need plenty of bright light, do not shade. 3 - 4 months to maturity.
Doesn't say anything about rabbits.

Ilona
(f+
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

Thanks very much will do some in and some out for good luck
Karen