My weekend - warning, picture heavy!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
chickenofthewoods
Learner Laner

My weekend - warning, picture heavy!

Post by chickenofthewoods »

Some of you may have twigged I'm a bit of an obsessive forager. In fact many of my spare moments are taken up with either getting out and about doing it or reading about it (sad huh?).

Anyway. Here's some pics from my most recent meanderings:

Arty farty close up of my namesake, Chicken of the Woods. Not really a weekend shot as I picked this yesterday after yomping about in the woods getting drenched. The slugs were having a field day and they love COTW, chewing fresh specimens to bits with relish so I 'rescued' it from them and will cook it up once I've decided which of my recipes I fancy most.

Alexanders Seed. Green and uncooked I found these taste perfumed and slightly like petrol/oil. I didn't like it particularly. However there are claims that it can be used as a condiment and I might explore throwing some into soup or pickling it to see what happens. Failing that, I'll use the seed to grow some. :lol:

Scurveygrass. I harvested this to id properly and haven't tasted it yet but it is reputedly bitter though packed with vitamins. The small leaves look succulent and fleshy and may cook well. Some experiments coming with this one.

Dryad's Saddle. This lovely group are sadly too old to harvest having already become too tough and rubbery to eat. We seem to have an abundance of them locally though so I'll keep my eyes peeled for a lush young specimen.

Halbard or Spear Leavesd Orache. This is a real find and I'll be going back for seed when they've ripened. Note the 'bloom' particularly on the underside of the leaves, making them different from Good King Henry which are glossier. Tastes good raw or lightly steamed and makes very a good spinach subsitute. Particularly nice in scrambled eggs & bacon.

Hogweed shoots. I generally have a policy not to mess with Umbellifers because of the similarities between edible and highly poisonous plants. Mistakes literally can be fatal (you'll see why I say this later in this list). However. Hogweed should be fairly easy to recognise as long as you've done your homework thoroughly. As usual though, if in doubt - don't. I mean absolutely DO NOT. Mistakes aren't worth it.
Supposed to taste like young asparagus (hmmm... not sure about that). I found the leaves a bit hairy and chewy, but the stalks had a pleasantly crispy texture even after sauteeing in butter and the flavour grew on me. I can see this having potential for experiment.

Fennel. Aniseed is a flavour you either like or you dont and it doesn't always sit well with other ingredients. Fortunately I do quite like it but tend to gather this for making tisanes mostly, although I'm wondering what it might do for a white spirit like Schnapps if I steeped some. Worth a try I think! It can be good stuffed into the stomach cavity of a fish (like Trout) and baked too.

This is one of the reasons why I avoid all but the most obvious and safely edible of the Umbellifer family: Hemlock Water Dropwort. Superficially you could be pardoned for mistaking it for a wild flat leaved parsley, except that this will kill you. I'm planning on going back and taking some clearer pictures of its features for reference when the weather's better. Please, should you come across it do not every mess with any part of this plant it is highly toxic from root to tip. Better yet, just don't mess with any of the Umbellifer family.

Marsh Samphire. I love marsh samphire. Caught at the right time of year it's succulent raw or cooked. Get it too late and it can be a little woody although it's still nice. Because of it's esturine/saltmarsh habitat do take care to wash & prep it throughly before consuming. I like it lightly steamed with a little butter, seasoning and lemon juice. Mmmmm.....

Shore Orache. I found this less pleasant than the Halbard leaved version, slightly soapy raw (not a good sign) and a little bitter when cooked. It would be a useful addition to a stew, soup or pottage though, bulking out sparse ingredients.

Sea Purslane. This year has been exellent for my local plants. The leaves are bigger and fatter than I've seen for a long time. I find these delicious raw or lightly steamed (served in the same manner as samphire). An excellent vegetable to accompany fish - especially salmon. Because of their favoured habitat, as with samphire I'd advise careful & thorough washing before preparing them.

Wall Rocket. Another real find! This is a perennial version of the garden rocket we often pay so much for in supermarkets. Extremely pungent but I find it delicious, especially in salads or a sandwhich made with good strong cheddar & wholegrain bread. I'll be after some seed from this come autumn.
:D Did anyone spot the insect on it?

Seabeet. My favourite staple green leaf. I've found that seabeet leaves have the wonderful ability to cook well & taste good regardless of whether the plant is in flower or seed - which is just as well as they frequently 'bolt'. Far superior to spinach in my humble opinion, with a gentler texture and flavour. I pick year round using small leaves for salads and larger ones to cook with. I also steam the fresh young flowerheads and eat like broccoli. It's great stuff. A highly recommended and easy to id wild foodsource.

So there you are!
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

How busy have you been? I expect you'll munch your way through all of these in no time at all!

The Samphire looks nice - once watched a programme with Bill Oddie on the Isle of Sheppey, and he crouched down, and ate his way out of the marshes! )c+

How long have you been doing this then? Im really intrigued! And do you cook it for the whole family, do they eat it too?

...and do you get enough protein from the added extras, ie insects?? )j;
My Websites; http://www.tranquillitytherapies.co.uk
chickenofthewoods
Learner Laner

Been at it since childhood, on way or another but it's a never ending learning curve to be honest, there's always something new to find out about and I have a massive haul of books either about, or linked to, the topic (well over 60 and rising :oops: ).

I try 'not' to eat the local wildlife along with the greens if I can help it, although these days I'm no longer vegetarian. :-D

Sadly my other half is about as conservative as you can get with meals. He can be very picky, even with stuff from supermarkets and isn't really into food much at all

(a good example of his somewhat understated attitude towards it are the two accolades given to his meals: "It's alright" being one, but the very highest pinnacle of praise being "Very nice". Of course I may be a rubbish cook, but even when faced with a gourmet meal he's like that).

Anyway, our daughter's happy to learn whatever her dear old mum cares to show her and tries the stuff I deem safe enough for her to have a go at.

What you see there are just a few bits from each plant that filled the basketful I collected the other day. I like to take pictures for my own reference and also because I post them up on other forums where people have an interest in wild foods.

Most of it has gone now so I plan to get out this afternoon again if I can, esp. as the weather's good.

(f+
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

So, do you stay local to do your foraging then?

My hubby went bananna's when I offered him a hawthorn berry, so I can sort of imagine what yours is like )c+

My Gran taught me quite a lot about edible things, wish I'd taken more notice of her though - I think we lost an awful lot of knowledge when/as the older (ie grandparents) generation passes.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Fascinating stuff. I have always wanted to try samphire but there's none around here. I love hearing about all the forage you can get but I wouldn't dare unless I was sure.
I saw HFW talking about the water dropwort on River Cottage. Yikes!!
please keep posting. It's great stuff.I did find a puffball once but it was dry as an old bone :cry: the ones on RC were bigger than my head! They hollowed them out and filled them with stew.
Jackie xx
chickenofthewoods
Learner Laner

I'm hunting the elusive giant puffball at the moment, but we discovered this aftenoon that some 'numpty' has mown all the nettles down in my favourite patch (they like to grow under nettles) :cry: .

It could be worth keeping an eye on the location of your old dry one, they may come back to the same place especially with all this wet humid weather. (Well, one can dream!).

Citrine, I have a confession.

I tend to forage wherever I am. It's awful really I'm an inveterate and itinerant forager. :oops:

It's rare that I can walk along anywhere without spotting something, in fact thankfully that habit's been the source of some of my best finds in the past. I do agree about the lost heritage too, although my parents and grandparents didn't really share my odd habit, it was my Dad who was really instrumental in getting me interested in Bushcraft & Foraging in the first place.

When I was wee I discovered a book he'd owned from his boyhood called 'The Book of Woodcraft Law' by a guy called Ernest Thompson Seton. It was a sort of scouting type manual all about American Indian buscraft, their tracking and survival skills and the plants they used for food and medicine. I loved it to bits and read and re-read it constantly.

By the age of about eight or nine he would take me along on golfing trips and let me loose in the woods, all alone, confident that not only I would keep myself safe, but that I could also be trusted to know how to. Thinking back on that now I'm amazed that he, a serving police officer & well aware of how nasty the world can sometimes be, had such immense faith and confidence in me. I'm not sure that I could bring myself to let our daughter such a thing these days!

I think that one of the reasons I love foraging so much is that it ties in with my interest in pre-history. Using wild foods is like touching the past. For example, did you know that nettles and fat hen have been the constant companions of mankind by living on their midden heaps since before the bronze age?

When I see some fat hen in my veg bed or border, I rejoice to see it and think of ancestors all those thousands of years ago tasting the same flavours that I can now. It's very special to me.
Citrine
Legendary Laner

Post by Citrine »

Wow, thats a lovely post ChickenOfTheWoods!

Your father reminds me of my Gran - although, I dont remember her having any specific book, she gave me the AA book of the Countryside, which has a lot about different things ie types of cow, spiders, bees, fungi etc
I also have the SAS guide to survival, which I used to use when I was a Cub Leader - until I got told it was too dangerous for the boys to use (absolute rubbish!!) because it encouraged violence (???) and they might poison themselves on the Wild Food part. )de:

Fat Henry - Can you make homebrew from it too? I have a vague memory of my Gran making wine with it, or maybe she added it to one....
chickenofthewoods
Learner Laner

Oooh. Dunno about that. Mind you, although I've not come across it used to make either beer or wine that doesn't mean that someone somewhere didn't have a recipe for it.

I do know that infusions of it were sometimes used for the treatment of rheumatism.

You do have to take a little care with it as it's a plant that contains both saponins and some oxalic acid, so consuming large amounts or eating it very frequently isn't really advised.

What you've said about the SAS guide is so true! I do get really quite cheesed off with todays mindset and its absolute terror of litigation. How will kids ever learn to become independant, creative adults if they're constantly coddled by nannyish authority? I wouldn't even minds quite so much were it not for the fact that it's the potential cost to them rather than their actual duty of care that the authories really worry about. )de:

Sorry about that. Personal rant. :oops: Please feel free to disagree with me if you want to!