How many tomato plants !!!!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

How many tomato plants !!!!

Post by Meanqueen »

I've gone and done it again. :? I thought 69 tomato plants last year was a bit excessive, this time I've ended up with 88 :shock: Ive used all my pots, and put some in compost bags, and had to build another shelter. I used a pallet like last time, nailed 4 corner posts on, added some cross bars, and covered it in shrink wrap, this one has a roof 8)

I hope all the hard work is worth it. Tonight I had potatoes, carrots, peas, and courgettes for my dinner. The broccolli is looking good, I'll have some tomorrow. I cooked my first batch of beetroot today. I love my garden :-D

Ilona
(f+
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

well done.
looks like it will be lots of tomato's from now on!
i have a very modest 6, but they are doing beautifully

lou )eat(
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

hi

I have four tomato plants 3 i got from the summer fayre at school 3 for a £1, and the other one i got from my dad, my dad grows loads though so can't wait,i love toms, do you freeze a lot of stuff made from toms ie soups and sauces for the winter Ilona

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Hi Mellonia
Last year I managed to eat most of my red tomatoes, but gave some away to friends, I ate the last ones in December.

I don't like chutney or soup, and I am not a fan of standing in the kitchen for hours preparing fancy food, I eat it as it comes. Though saying that I did get a lot of unripened tomatoes, and I was determined I would eat every last one. I peeled the green ones, quartered them boiled them in a big pan (no water) for a few minutes, let them cool, and put them in plastic pots and froze them. Then when I made my winter stews I put one of those in.

Ilona
)lck(
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

42 down the lane and all doing well - Plums, Mini's and bog standards for Chutney and Relish.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That's a lot Richard, do you have them in a greenhouse or are they outside? I forgot to mention that I have big red and cherry red, and some yellow ones, when they arrive. All looking healthy, but I can't remember which will grow tall, and which not so tall, so they all have long canes.

Ilona
:-D
wendy

Post by wendy »

Well I am now going to impress you all, The absolutely orange fingered personage has just bought 2 tomoto plants @ 20p each at the fete we have just been to.
I will keep you posted on how they flourish, or not as the case may be.
I must add I hate tomotoes LOL
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Lol wendy so do i!! But hubby and the kids eat them like apples.
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
littlefeat
Lively Laner

Post by littlefeat »

ive gone mad this year also, ive grown from seed

roma, cherry, tumbler, caspian pink, green zebra, brandywine, big rainbow, sub arctic plenty, gardeners delight

and a couple of others i cant remember the names lol

littlefeat
at home with 1 dog, 2 rats, 3 rabbits, 6 fish, 4 cats, 8 chickens, 2 kids and 1 hubby
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

i've got about a dozen remaining from what i grew from seed.
Bah Humbug
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

I let some of the side shoots grow a big longer and potted them too.
They're not looking too bad.
Nothing grown from seed though, I'll have to wait till next year to do that.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I grew quite a lot from seed this year including perennial broccoli. Seemed a good idea as I would only have to plant it once. Didn't count on getting my chooks then!! Few stalks left! :shock: Do you think I should leave the plants in the tub for next year?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Chicken Noob
Learner Laner

Post by Chicken Noob »

I got my first tomato plants (3) a few weeks back - never grown them before, but they are massive now! - no tomatoes as yet, but i cant see how at this point they will fail. *tempts fate* :D

Decided to try some eco living for a change of lifestyle and this is the first year me, the wife and kids are growing some of our own food.

We have 2 strawberry plants too (big hit with the kids) and got our first chickens yesterday (but thats another thread...) ;)
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

I've got 3 tumbling tom's outside kitchen window
2 in cheap plastic greenhouse ( falling apart)
4 out in main veg bed and i planted out 20 in a plot of waste ground near the house, my attempt at gorilla gardening!! :)

I just couldn't throw any away, might get together with neighbours next year, we coul all grow one tray of veg eg tom's corgettes or pepper then swap the plants when larger
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

toms

Post by 4 french hens »

Have 35 assorted plants, different varieties to those in the uk, all doing well outside.
We freeze our excess all skinned, cross the bottoms with a knife, plunge into boiling water for a few mins, then peel, either whole, or pureed with a blender for spag bol, chilli etc.
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.