slugs on spuds

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

slugs on spuds

Post by Meanqueen »

I was quite happy to stick my hands down into the bags, and rummage about amongst the roots to pull out a few spuds for my dinner. But, I have just been out slug picking and found huge black horrible slugs munching away on the tops. I think I'm going to get the rubber gloves out when I next go excavating, ughhhh, the thought of touching one of those slimy creatures gives me the shudders. :shock: yike*

Ilona
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

They’re all god’s creatures, albeit not cute and fluffy. They make excellent bait when fishing for summer chub on the river Avon as well. They have taken out an entire crop of sorrel over the past couple of week as well the slimy little b**gg*rs.
)de:
Bah Humbug
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have just noticed, there are no slugs lurking in the spuds I planted in rigid pots, but they are hidden in the folds of plastic in the bags. I had a look early this morning and scooped a dozen out with a spoon. Maybe I have to inspect regularly and pick them out.

Ilona
(f+
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

HFW used to feed them to his chooks.
Bah Humbug
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

My granny is now 93 and was always a keen gardener.

She had a fantastic slugging tool - a knitting needle lashed onto the end of an old broom handle. On damp evenings, she would potter round the garden filling up the slug kebeb stick, not sure what she did once it was full though :shock:

This is one of my earliest memories, whenever I see slugs I think of Granny )j;
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
Bollybarb
Legendary Laner

Post by Bollybarb »

Cool!!
Slug kebab!! )c+
I have chickens Blaze, Star and Comet, who have met Sunny Clucker in Cheshire :-)
I'm training to be a midwife!!!!!