Cats

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
gbplumbing
Learner Laner

Cats

Post by gbplumbing »

Hi all, new member here.

Has anyone got any advice on how to keep cats out of my garden? I've tried those sonic cat repellers and they seem to attract cats rather than keep them out. I've got nothing against cats as pets but these are my neighbour's and they've been eyeing up my chickens and using my lawn as a toilet.

Any advice greatly appreciated. confused>
wendy

Post by wendy »

My brother uses a produce called Roar. It apparently is dried lion dung. It is spread around his flower beds.
They don't come in his garden.
I have three dogs, They don't come in mine either.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
manda

Post by manda »

Let the chickens deal with them..we have a cat (turned up a few months ago and stayed!!) she thought she would have a bit of a nosey at the chickens and got a face full of claws and feathers flying at her for her troubles :-D ...she gives them a wide berth now!
Other than that I don't really know what you can do as I feel cats are pretty much a law unto themselves...sorry not much help :?
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Hi and welcome!

Our sonic cat thingy did work and for several years even after it got trodden on, the cats steered clear of the garden. It is only 'new' cats who moved in since the scarer got trodden on that come into the garden. We did pay £80 for it though :shock: It was from 'concept research' which does scarers for all varieties of pests. [will put up full address if allowed to advertise for them?]

I also like the look of stiff rubber spikes which you can put on the tops of your fences. I have seen them in a few garden centres but they were also very expensive.

We now use a feathered deterrent, as Manda suggested, and cleared out all the gravel which they seemed to think was put there for them to 'go' in.

I also noticed that when I have had cats as pets (and gave them a litter tray), the garden stays clear of visiting moggies - perhaps a little extreem :?

Good luck, cats can be very determined.

Effie :)
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
gbplumbing
Learner Laner

Post by gbplumbing »

Effie wrote:Hi and welcome!

Our sonic cat thingy did work and for several years even after it got trodden on, the cats steered clear of the garden. It is only 'new' cats who moved in since the scarer got trodden on that come into the garden. We did pay £80 for it though :shock: It was from 'concept research' which does scarers for all varieties of pests. [will put up full address if allowed to advertise for them?]

I also like the look of stiff rubber spikes which you can put on the tops of your fences. I have seen them in a few garden centres but they were also very expensive.

We now use a feathered deterrent, as Manda suggested, and cleared out all the gravel which they seemed to think was put there for them to 'go' in.

I also noticed that when I have had cats as pets (and gave them a litter tray), the garden stays clear of visiting moggies - perhaps a little extreem :?

Good luck, cats can be very determined.

Effie :)

maybe that's where I'm going wrong, I only paid £30 for mine!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

It's often the way of things - you get what you pay for :!:
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Hi gb'

I just accept it as they are my cats but a bloke at work had a similar problem and was advised to use thorny twigs between his plants.

he said it worked like magic and he had tried loads of things.

At least it's a cheap option you could try before you go to great expense.
Jackie xx
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

Twigs, a good idea. I have 3 cats, and they think I have created a wonderfull litter box when I dig my veg beds. I chopped the tops off some leylandii, stripped the greenery off and put the small branches over the dug bits, it worked. I also got some of those £1 plastic trellises and laid them over the bare compost, that worked. I just accept that my cats will poo under my hedge bottoms. I've never heard of cats depositing on a lawn though, as they like to cover it up.

Ilona
(f+
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

I have heard that a strong lemon smell is off putting to cats? Not sure how true that is though :?

A friend of ours has just got a sonic repeller thingy, as he and his girlfriend have a rabbit and its their baby, and there are a alot of cats around, it hasn't put them off at all, they are going try the spike things too.

I don't have that problem my cat won't let any others in the garden!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
mellonia
Longlasting Laner

Post by mellonia »

Hi

Could be a hedgehog that is doing its business on your lawn i have two cats and they have never done it on the lawn, but we have a family of hedghogs that do its very dark in colour, cats like to bury it, they would go in your border amongst your plants. Mine do it in a certain place and i go periodically and poo pick and put in the wheelie bin. My other cat goes across a road to do her business in the front gardens of my neighbours, oops luckily they don't spend any time in the front and only cut the grass. They house she likes the best is currently empty, so fingers crossed. I know my neighbour is not a lover of cats, but when he had mice in his garage and now has guinea pigs my cats come in handy mousers to keep populations down so they do have there good points.

They reason i got a cat in the first place is i had mice in an upstairs flat and they had eaten all through my angel delight packets. Got a cat and really really love them excellent pet if you are working and on your own, great bit of company, especially as did'nt have a lot of cash for a social life.

Mellonia
money talks but all mine ever says is goodbye
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

The rabbit keeps any cats out of the garden, since he believes they're just future members of his harem. The cats disagree.
My parents use clear plastic bottles filled with water, and chilli or pepper powder to keep them away from certain areas.
I've used the bottles with limited effect.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I have gravel in our front garden and all the neighbourhood moggies use it to poo in )de: I sprinkle it liberally with chili powder or cheap curry powder although the rain washes it in but it worked for a while. Next door have always got cat poo on the lawn, the cats leave it as a calling card, marking out their territory and they have an owl sonic deterrent device which doesnt do anything :shock: I would get lion poo if I could!!
Looove chucks!