Tomatoes are sprouting!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Tomatoes are sprouting!

Post by Emmamoo »

I know they're only toms but I am so excited I finally have something edible growing! Spinach is coming along nicely and so are my radishes and carrotties.

Will get a pic uploaded. I'm so proud of myself. Last time I tried I couldn't even grow cress...
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Well done Emma )c(
Same here! Extreme novice here but noticed the toms the other day and have already had some radishes and carrots i am so pleased - the carrots we had were so long, i thought they would be diddy little things!
Also got spring onion and lettuce growing.
Also planted fruit trees and they have already got buds on!

Well done us!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
wendy

Post by wendy »

Also here at the Bell household.
Although mine don't look too healthy to me. But I will leave them and see how they get on.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
Emmamoo
Lively Laner

Post by Emmamoo »

Hooray for tomatoes!

I went to see my great aunt and uncle down in Bognor last Sunday and saw they had onions growing down in their garden. They were lovely and big. Kind of inspired me to grow some next year. I have a packet of red barons waiting to be sown.
****Emma****

...Ever the optimist!
Johnhson
Site Admin

Post by Johnhson »

Emmamoo wrote:Hooray for tomatoes!

I went to see my great aunt and uncle down in Bognor last Sunday and saw they had onions growing down in their garden. They were lovely and big. Kind of inspired me to grow some next year. I have a packet of red barons waiting to be sown.

Get them started early next year - I find 15 to the tray modules best then they plant easily.

I find seed grown store better, are cheaper but are harder. If it's your first time with onions, you might prefer to use sets. They are easier.
Author of the top selling book 'Vegetable Growing Month by Month' Click Here to View
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I have had to start trimming back some of the foliage on my tomato plants, to let the sun get to the flowers and fruit. Looks like my 88 plants are going to produce lots.

It is very exciting to pick your own food from your garden, whooopppeee.
Ilona
(f+
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Our Tomatoes are from seed collected last year. We were given some manx tomatoes by a friend, an old variety , and I managed to save the seeds on some kitchen paper. This year we put them in pots and now have 10 healthy specimens loaded with ripening fruits. They are in a polytunnel and up to now are free from any pests...hardy type, mine usually get whitefly. I will deffinitely be saving the seed again. we did this with the chillies and there are heaps of them again. There are still plenty in the freezer waiting to go in the cure all chutney!!! (f+ )c+ . Today I climbed up, into the cherry tree and picked 40lbs of beautiful dark red cherries. I pipped 8lbs yesterday and gave up with so many today. They are in the freezer now with pips and stalks. I was helped by Felix the stray cat who loves climbing up trees :-D The colonel was grubbing around underneath the tree picking at some of the overripe ones dodging the ones which I dropped :shock: such a help!!!!
Looove chucks!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Amusingly the tomatoes that were labelled as for indoor growth have come on a treat whereas the hardier variety haven’t done very well at all, currently got seven plants four of which have fruits. Hardly an industrial project but at least we’ve grown them.
Bah Humbug
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

Toms

Post by 4 french hens »

Here in France the varieties are different and I've grown the usual beef tom's, along with some huge Romas, one of the Italien plum varieties, and one I've never seen before, Andes. These so far have grown to about 5 inches long with a diameter of about 4 inches, tapering down to a blunted point, they too are beginning to colour up, and I'm looking forward to tasting them. All my toms are growm outdoors and over here the locals do not remove the side shoots. Some of the beefys are almost 6 inches in diameter, (a week of meals/tom I think).

An easy trick :- to freeze toms remove skin by cutting a small cross at the base of the tom then plunge into boiling water for a couple of mins. The skinw ill peel easily then they can be frozen either whole or pureed.

Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.