rabbits!!!!!!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
spudley
Legendary Laner

rabbits!!!!!!

Post by spudley »

The rabbits have now totally destroyed, all the veg that i have planted outside apart from the spuds and marrows. OUt of about 100 peas I have half a row left (they are nibbling across the bottom) and of the green beand 40 plants i only have 2 left, can you believe it-thay have not touched the broad beans though. All onions, garlic, corn, carrotts, parsnips, all the stuff that i could store though the winter gone!!!!

It is so depressing with the amount of time spent on starting the seeds, digging tending weeding, why?

Mr Spud has started building a wall around the patch so that next yr we can fence the whole lot of. It will not look nice, but all the old deterents have not worked (hair, plastic bottles, CDs plastic owls)

I am sad......I have no veg again.....

)de:
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
manda

Post by manda »

Bl**dy rabbits...they can be such a pain!! Have you tried ferret poo? If you have a strOng stomach even better - get the poo and soak it in water then spread it around the perimeter.

That being said we tried all those things...we have, in past years, eaten quite a lot of rabbit! :?
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

We had rabbit problems but now we have a young cat again and they are the ones with problems!
I still sometime see them in the orchard, but they leave the veg alone.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Yep, our old cat is a good rabbitter (sp) and the young one has now started. 2-3 rabbits a day that we know of. Problem is the puppy is eating them as well!
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

A shotgun perhaps; problem solved and stuff for the pot all at the same time.
)c+
Bah Humbug
ged
Lively Laner

rabbits

Post by ged »

:cry:
Sad news about your veg Spudley!Time to get tough on the bunnies!A walled area sounds good!Keep going,you will prevail!I have just lost spuds and tomatoes to a blight!
atb
ged ^b:
'Ask not what can your Country do for you,rather,What can you do for your Country'
John F Kennedy
Service before self,
Strength and honour.
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Shot gun problem is the rest of the gang run away so you only get one!

Don't forget bunnies are b***dy good diggers so you will have to go down as well as up!

We are inundated with the little b***ers here but the cats do keep them out of the garden.
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

saint-spoon wrote:A shotgun perhaps; problem solved and stuff for the pot all at the same time.
)c+

Not Thumper! :cry:
Jackie xx
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

shotgun may be the answer, not a good thought coming from someone who doesnt eat meat, but they wouldnt be wasted as then at least I would know where my dog food was coming from!.
Basil used to catch rabbits on a regular basis, but since we have had the chickens we have discouraged him from chasing small fluffy things, and dont the rabbits know it. So after the extension is built and i have room for a secure cabinate i may apply for a licence-this would be a total last resort though, and would not be taken lightly....

On a better note though I had my first courgette from the green house yesterday evening, it may be the only one we get, but it was there. Ate it in an exbatt egg omlett.

Get in the green house rabbits I dare you (we have bomb proofed that, although we did leave the door open one evening only to find that the troughfull of carrots we were trying in there had been snatched............)
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

We seem to have an epidemic of rabbits up here.Put my tub of runner beans 4 foot of the floor and they still ate them.In rented accomodation so can't put fencing up etc.
Also have a warren come up under one of my bushes.
Pumpkins coming on well though and the toms are ontop of a set of shelves!

Karen
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

Arrrrrgh!!!!
Spoke too soon.
Lacey lettuce.