Spuds!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

I have a terrible problem with my spuds. I CANT DIG ENOUGH OF THEM to last two meals, the more I dig the more we eat......
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
4 french hens
Longlasting Laner

pots

Post by 4 french hens »

Hi,
I find Estima to be a good all round main crop, they can get very large.
Others I like are the red Desiree, sweet and best bakers around, also crisp up nicely for chips, and also Picasso, another good all rounder similar to Cara, both these are good substitutes for the old King Edward which as you say are prone to blight.
Mike
Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I've just learned something new from one of the previous replies..... Its my first year of growing spuds and I harvested a load a few weeks back by pulling out some of the entire plants!! I never knew you were supposed to leave the plant in! do they just keep producing new potatoes ?? and how long for?
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Generally you do dig the whole plant up, but if you grow in bags, and just want a few, you can just reach in and grab a few. If any spuds get left in the soil, you'll get new plants sprouting up the following year. I had this happen where I put my new strawberry bed... :cry: