Free Bed !!!!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
countrykim
Lively Laner

Free Bed !!!!

Post by countrykim »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas for what i can sow now as i have an empty 4ft by 8ft veggie bed free after eating all of my lovely new potatoes?Dont want to put more spuds in or lettuce.My books are a bit unclear as to what i should or can sow now??????
I am already growing the following in other areas-
Tomatoes/cucmbers/sweetcorn/radish/spring onions/french beans/runner beans/pepperscarrots.

Eating well already i know but dont want to miss an oppourtunity to tickle my taste buds even further. )c+ Thanks
CountryKim

Mrs Morecombe - Goldline
Mrs Wise - Amber
spudley
Legendary Laner

Post by spudley »

turnips, winter cabbage and I think that you might still be able to get out some hardy caullies for spring picking.
5 dogs, 15 chickens (6 ex batts) 1 cockerel, and very limited tech skills
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

mizuna? or some kale?
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

The spring cabbage can be sown from the seed packet, but the caulis would need to be plants. I used to grow them, there were various sorts that you sowed in Spring, planted out later and they stood over winter and hearted up from late winter to early summer. Snag was the need for several different packets, one variety could be tweaked by only a week or two with successional sowing. Then I always ended up with far too many plants, and lots of cauli's at once. And they use up a lot of ground for a long time. Advantage that they didn't suufer too much from caterpillars.

Sometimes are called winter Sprouting Broccolli; look like caulis to me.
I've not seen them recently.