Not happy bunny

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
lizziedoggarden
Legendary Laner

Not happy bunny

Post by lizziedoggarden »

I planted some new potato seeds, the picture on the front showed beautiuful white new potatoes however mine are RED }hairout{ The wrong label must've gone on }hairout{

The idea of having red new potatoes sounds weird..if I leave them to get bigger and older can I use them later in the year?
Don't dream it, BE it....

Am looking forward to welcoming Sunny Clucker to Woodbridge Suffolk!!!!!
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Not happy bunny

Post by lancashire lass »

How weird - the seed spud would have had red skins to start off so I can't see how they changed from white to red without noticing there was something odd.

lizziedoggarden wrote:The idea of having red new potatoes sounds weird

there are red skinned varieties available such as Red Duke of York - once you scrub off the skin, it is still a new potato )t'

lizziedoggarden wrote:if I leave them to get bigger and older can I use them later in the year?

As you have no idea what the potato variety is, it would be difficult to know if it can be stored for later in the year. Having said that, providing the potatoes are stored somewhere cool and dark, they may last until about October/November. I sometimes leave some of my salad potatoes for Christmas ... by then they look a little sad, soft (bendy) and wrinkled but they are fine after peeling and make excellent roast potatoes.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I wouldn't be upset - I am sure they will be delicious. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Sara

Post by Sara »

I actually prefere the red variety, I find they have more taste )t'
[center]Happy to have shown Titchy Clucker a little corner of France[/center]

Sara XxX
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I like red tatties too - yum yum yum especially in a nice potato salad :-D )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

last year I grew a purple fleshed salad potato called Salad Blue. Close your eyes and it tasted just like a potato (was actually quite tasty as varieties go) but I could not get my head round the purple colour no matter how I prepared the potatoes.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

lancashire lass wrote:

last year I grew a purple fleshed salad potato called Salad Blue. Close your eyes and it tasted just like a potato (was actually quite tasty as varieties go) but I could not get my head round the purple colour no matter how I prepared the potatoes.

My mum bought some of these at Christmas (the only ones left in the shop) - was quite weird having purple bubble and squeak but it did taste delicious )t'
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

We had purple mash on Christmas Day after my dad grew some - as you say, weird to look at but tasted delicious!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell