Polytunnel

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Re: Polytunnel

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:
HensAloud wrote:Update on my Polytunnel, in passing Dh mentioned to our over the road neighbour what we were planning, and he offered us a frame he was going to scrap for £20, it's big but we can Taylor it to suit the position, and we get an industrial strength cover. Now we have to wait for the ground to de sog so we can remove the remaining hedge where we want to site it. Photos will be posted eventually.

Thats a result Angela,£20 for a frame is a good deal.If you are going to grow in the ground where the hedge was ,dig in some well rotted manure or compost,as hedges are well known for depleating the soil .Good luck with it,look forward to some pictures at a later date )t'

I'm thinking of getting a load, trailer or some such thing, of compost, when i can track down a supplier, i think bags will work out very expensive. The soil is particularly rubbish there and quite heavy clay. Thanks for the advice you've confirmed what I was thinking.
Angela
Usually Barking Up the Wrong Tree
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Dont pay alot of money ,most garden centres have bust bags cheap,although the ones that grow stuff use them on there own gardens and greenhouses,better to look at B&Q,Homebase or the like,i bought some cheap 90p a bag, big bags from B&Q,they had 3 pallets it was all gone next day.
Stables and riding schools usually have horse manure and are usually glad to give it away. )t'
If you can get something with some straw in it so much the better ,this will help to break up the clay and open it up to let air and water in.
Hope you soon get sorted >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

billnorfolk wrote:Dont pay alot of money ,most garden centres have bust bags cheap,although the ones that grow stuff use them on there own gardens and greenhouses,better to look at B&Q,Homebase or the like,i bought some cheap 90p a bag, big bags from B&Q,they had 3 pallets it was all gone next day.
Stables and riding schools usually have horse manure and are usually glad to give it away. )t'
If you can get something with some straw in it so much the better ,this will help to break up the clay and open it up to let air and water in.
Hope you soon get sorted >gl<

Thankyou Bill you are a mine of very helpful information )t'
Angela
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

We've almost got the " bones" up now, after DH has spent ages preparing the ground.
Angela
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

A bit of advise is to dig a trench all the way round. Then when you put the plastic on you bury the ends in the trench. That will stabilise it in the wind
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

Thanks Maggie I will hand the advice on the man who does +f+
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Looks like the man who does is making a great job Angela, please post pictures when its complete )t'
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

HappyBob wrote:Looks like the man who does is making a great job Angela, please post pictures when its complete )t'

Will do Bob )t'
Angela
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

He who does always insists on making a good job, unlike me who is anyhow does ! So it's taken what seems like forever to get done, he's working on the doors now. I have planted 50+ strawberry plants this afternoon inside.
Angela
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Thats a fantastic job Angela, please tell the man who does that he has done it very well on your poly tunnel project. )t' :-D

ps I have just noticed the baby gate at the polly doorway is that there to keep the baby carrots from escaping ?.... :-D
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

HappyBob wrote:Thats a fantastic job Angela, please tell the man who does that he has done it very well on your poly tunnel project. )t' :-D

ps I have just noticed the baby gate at the polly doorway is that there to keep the baby carrots from escaping ?.... :-D

{rofwl} the gate is a temporary measure, the poultry gang had been having a great time inside, trouble is Grace just jumps over. I'm gonna have to with hold the choc 'obnobs til we get the doors put on, that'll speed him who does up ! {rofwl}
Angela
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

OH made a frame the same size of the door and covered it with netting and it just hooks against the door frame. Then the door is open but nothing can get in. However the mesh is big enough for bees to get in.
HensAloud
Legendary Laner

Post by HensAloud »

I think he who does is doing a double door Maggie, with the inner door made with netting, birds and poultry birds out, bee people in ....... Hopefully !
Angela
aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

i have rad this thread with interest as i saw davina 112 polytunnel last year and thought about it and never did anything as i have had to have the hen run out of necessity it will have to wait til next year now ,as the girls have paid for their run with their poo perhaps they would like to buy me a polytuneel as it is i who pick and bag the poo so i reckon i could go on the payroll {rofwl} really impressed with all the growing and ideas flying around ive picked up some fab tips )t'
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Some friends of ours put their chickens in the Polytunnel over winter. It keeps it weed,slug free and their poo does marvels