Growing Basil

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
LisaB

Growing Basil

Post by LisaB »

Not a vegetable I know but didnt know where to put this :oops:

Can anyone give me some tips on keeping a basil plant alive? I just seem to kill them all {cry}

I follow the instructions on the packet (which just say water from the bottom) but they never live more than two weeks.

)hlp>
Maggie1

Re: Growing Basil

Post by Maggie1 »

Its a herb that likes a warm climate. So if you keep them indoors on a warm windowsill with no draughts and continue to water, but not drown them you should be OK.
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Is it growing basil from the supermarket? I can't keep them alive for long either - I think they do something to the roots to stop them from growing properly. I find that growing from seed is more successful.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

That's what I was doing Maggie :( but still never lived long.

But that's a good point LBF, maybe it is because I'm buying them from the supermarket! Will try from seeds! thanks :-D
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

Never allow Basil to stand in water--needs to be freedraining.
Hope this 'elps :-D
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

The supermarket won't have done anythig to the roots.

What happens is that they are grown with lots of seedlings in the pot and enough feed to get them to you. They are becoming overcrowded and starved.

Next time you get a pot from the supermarket use some of the leaves and cut off the tops. Then get 3 or 4 pots with fresh compost, break up the clump of young plants and repot them. You can cut the root mass with a knife if they are matted. It is not necessary to split them into single plants but you can if you want and then you will have loads.

I grow mine from seed but they are not the easiest germinators and do need some warmth to get going.

Lastly they are naturally a summer crop so will grow much better for you when the days are warmer and lighter. I don't bother to grow them indoors in the winter. I grow a lot in the summer and freeze the leaves.

Hope this helps.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Oh that's very helpful!

I thought they'd be okay in my bedroom as it's always closed to stop the cats going in there, gets the morning sun, and also has my gecko and snail in their who have heat mats/lamp which keep it really warm, but never last. Have tried in the kitchen too but that didn't work (then again, the cat did eat half of it :oops: )

Will wait for nicer weather to try again, i'll miss making pesto though {cry}
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

Thanks for the tips Homemade - I hadn't thought of it like that.
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
HappyBob
Legendary Laner

Post by HappyBob »

Lisa I grow around 20 plants a year from seed, to make Basil ice cubes. Last year I grew them in a polytunnel, with no problems although I have used the greenhouse in other years growing then in between the tomato plants.

Sow seed then prick out into 3" pots using a general potting compost with a little pearlite mixed in then simply transfer to either polly or green house borders when large enough, I have never had any trouble with them and always get a good crop to last us the full year.
Dont ever grow up, its a trap
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Thank you, Bob!
Just curious, what are basil ice cubes? :oops:
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

You can do it with a lot of herbs Lisa. Chop herbs up and put the chopped herbs into ice cube trays. Freeze and then when you want them in cooking just take out a cube .
LisaB

Post by LisaB »

Ohhh that makes more sense. I was thinking you put them in your drink.... {rofwl} {rofwl}
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Now is the time to get basil plants from the shops and split them and pot them up.
I brought a pot 3 weeks ago, have used the tops and today I have pulled it apart and made 4 large pots to put in the conservatory for now. I will move them to the cold greenhouse when it warms up a bit.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!