Old greenhouse

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
naturaljazz
Learner Laner

Old greenhouse

Post by naturaljazz »

Hi, I have moved and there is an old greenhouse. It has stone walls, half below ground level, and metal framing. I need to replace a couple of panes, I am ok with that. I have emptied out all the rubbish, old lino and wood. It is all a bit damp and smelly. Any suggestions for cleaning? Should i use Jeyes? I plan to use the shelving for seeds, and maybe build up the earth floor into beds? I am new to this so any tips would be brilliant. Thank you Judith
Stef
Legendary Laner

Re: Old greenhouse

Post by Stef »

Hi, welcome to DTL.

I use Jayes for cleaning everything greenhouse related. So yes, it would be OK, just follow the instructions.

Then take it nice and slow, plant just one or two seeds, no, cancel that, it's silly

Go to this thread and add your name to the seed packet list. Then soonish you will get some packets of seeds you can practice with.

http://www.downthelane.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=35370&start=30

Then you could think about making your own diary thread and we could all laugh at you, sorry, help you as you give it a good whirl.... win the fruit and veg competition and generally be a whizz at growing your own :-D
1 dumbo rat still without a name; 2 top eared rats Octavia and Ursula
1 Rhode Rock, 1 Sussex Star, 1 Blue Ranger - The New Monochrome Set

My crafty blog, it's Frugal too http://relovedremnants.blogspot.co.uk/
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Sounds like a lovely old greenhouse. Is it victorian? The half buried brickwork was a popular style then.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
naturaljazz
Learner Laner

Post by naturaljazz »

Thanks for the replies. I have been busy now the snow has melted here. I J. Fluided and scrubbed the lot and used the hose to rinse off. Looks much better now. I removed layers of lino and old melamine too. It smells so much fresher and is much cleaner.
It isn't Victorian, more 1960's like my house. The garden is on a hill, so the walls are built into the bank as it were. Now for trays, compost and seeds! (oh and time!!)
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oooh - lucky you having a greenhouse! The bonus of it being 1960s is that it is probably very stable and unlikely to blow away! (I lost my gorgeous red cedar greenhouse in the hurricane)

Hope you enjoy your growing!
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
naturaljazz
Learner Laner

Post by naturaljazz »

I have had a good growing season with the old greenhouse.

I think its best feature was starting seeds off to put outside. I have had (still have some) lovely flowers this year in the garden. I came second in the local bloom competition for my front garden (wild flowers, micro pond etc) which was a good boost. I grew lots of tomatoes and have plenty for chutney-making. Beans were nice grown in the greenhouse and I have grown pots of lovely carrots in there too (as well as outside).

On the negative side I have had no luck at all with peppers. The plants grow well but not one pepper. I have grown about 20 and had no luck. Wonder why?

I would have preferred a greenhouse with all glass, it is dark at the lower part and the back, which must impact on growing quality. But it is very sturdy indeed.

I am over-wintering plants in pots in there - I have done well with Chilean Glory Vine for example, and I have lavender cuttings as well as lots of other cuttings from plants and bushes in my garden which I have inherited and have no idea what they are!

Anything else I ought to be growing through the winter or is it not possible?

"Good Gardening" as someone once said!