pruning blueberries

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
keemjay
Lively Laner

pruning blueberries

Post by keemjay »

I have a few blueberry bushes in containers..(this will be their 2nd year of fruiting..i didnt prune them last year)... and i cant find my fruit book at the moment (living room in upheaval due to decorating!) to tell me what i am meant to do pruning wise? i seem to remember its around this time but not sure how much to take off..they're starting to bud already..is it too late?!
many thanks
Kim
manda

Re: pruning blueberries

Post by manda »

I wouldn't worry about it if you can't prune them this year...you can get away with it or the first 2/3 years....the produce berries on branches produced the previous year.

You need to prune them while they are dormant so in the UK from Nov - March ish ...but the weather OY!!!
You take out the oldest canes and remove one or two each year and lower branches that if they are laden with fruit would go on the ground ....and obviously any dead wood or anything that's diseased.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
keemjay
Lively Laner

Re: pruning blueberries

Post by keemjay »

ah ok!
will stop panicking!
many thanks
Kimx