Any advice for an aggressive aubergine?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Little Miss Strange
Learner Laner

Any advice for an aggressive aubergine?

Post by Little Miss Strange »

We've never grown an aubergine plant before and it all seems to be turning a bit 'little shop of horrors'! I'm sure they don't get much taller than this, although it seems to still be growing. Has anyone else grown one? Any tips or advice would be most welcome! Such as when are they supposed to fruit? :-D

Photobucket

(As a comparison, I am about 5'4"!)
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

You can get around 4/5/6 plants fruits from one aubergine plant, when they want to play.
The flowers should have formed fruit by now, so if you haven't got any on there, I don't think it'll grow any now(having said that though, I've got some peppers that are forming new fruit, they must be as confused about the weather as I am)
I've never got beyond about 3 from one plant, and this year, none at all. They just didn't grow, and at that time I didn't have greenhouse to put them in.
I've never really taken any shoots off, just took excess flowers off, but I probably should have done, and when they did grow, I'd have finished picking them by now, but if they're inside a greenhouse they may last a bit longer.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
Little Miss Strange
Learner Laner

Post by Little Miss Strange »

Thanks Taff! There are a few flowers now, so fingers crossed it might still be a winner. We've grown it on a windowsill (lucky to have a giant sunny window!) so it's keeping warm. I've started saying encouraging things to it too, just in case... will keep you posted!

(Our peppers seem to be doing the same as yours, so perhaps it is just the indecisive weather!) :-D