hardening off and planting out.

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

hardening off and planting out.

Post by mrs boodles »

I have beans that look ready to be planted out but they are not hardened off. Would it be ok to plant them out and put plastic bottles over them at night or should I bring my little plastic greenhouse down from bedroom and put outside with them in it. Have to say the greenhouse thingey is not very stable and my garden gets pretty windy if there is a wind.
Have`nt had any frosts lately.

thanks in advance.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: hardening off and planting out.

Post by albertajune »

I would personally harden them off first. We planted ours one year in lovely weather but they took a battering and did get set back. Ours was on an allotment that is open to the elements and we underestimated the cold winds that can still occur. Plastic bottles should give adequate protection at night.
Mine are still quite small as I planted later this year.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Mrs Boodles I think I would bother with hardening off if only for a week and keep the plastic bottles on standby, when you do plant out - such an unpredicatble season this time
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Runner beans even hardened off will still not take a sharp frost very well ,only just set mine in greenhouse and useing heat at night on cool nights .Will be putting mine out towards the end of the month if no frost forcast )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have cheated and bought bean plants today, but my plan is to harden them off over the next week or two before planting.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I've only sown mine this morning .. I'm away the middle of the month so they should be ready to harden off and plant out by the end of the month .. Runner beans have to be the most tender of veg plants and are not only affected by frosts but cold winds too.. you can almost watch them growing when it's warm enough but they will get set right back if the weather is too cool.

It's always a worry when Runner beans are sown too early as we can still have frosts up to the end of May.. As yours are ready to go out Mrs boodles I would harden them off over the next week ..then when you plant them out protect them with fleece for another couple of weeks.

Helen I would do the same for yours .. all the veg plants sold in garden centres have been grown in temperature controlled greenhouses and will be even more susceptible to the cold .. even cool day time temperatures are enough to shock them.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

I plant my beans in pots. I only did them last week. When they are about 6 inches high I put them outside in their pots in the day but always bring them in at night. I do this for about a week or so, but I certainly wouldn't chance planting them out till halfway through May. It all depends where abouts in the UK you are. I was in Kent when I used to do above. If your further North I'd leave it a bit.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

Thanks everyone, I am going to start hardening them off today. Think I sowed too early, forgot how quick they can germinate.