Plum tree question

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Plum tree question

Post by redd_angel55 »

I bought a plum tree 3 weeks ago from a supermarket. They were selling the last few off for £2, but only half were still alive :?
I soaked the poor tree before planting it and it seems ok now.
There are however shoots growing out of the dwarf rootstock. Should I snapp those off?
Just wondering if they are going to weaken the rest of the tree?!
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Plum tree question

Post by lancashire lass »

the rootstock will be a completely different tree to the variety you have (might be quince or other fruit so not necessary a type of plum) so yes, I'd trim those shoots off that are below the graft. Surprised really that it should do that, unless the variety part has died off or struggling.
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

Re: Plum tree question

Post by redd_angel55 »

lancashire lass wrote:the rootstock will be a completely different tree to the variety you have (might be quince or other fruit so not necessary a type of plum) so yes, I'd trim those shoots off that are below the graft. Surprised really that it should do that, unless the variety part has died off or struggling.

Yes, I am surprised aswell. Never seen it before, but most of the trees were completely dead and the others dried out!
I'll trim those shoots off! )t'
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks