LEEKS

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

LEEKS

Post by Annie »

I have a small raised bed roughly 5' x 4' it is situated behind the 6' slatted fence and the house wall is a few feet across from the fence so its not ever going to get a lot of sun. Last year I tried to grow a few cabbage there but they were only good enough to give the hens a treat.
I decided just to make a compost area of it instead and have added chicken house debris and veg peelings to it for the last few weeks. Today I decided to turn it over and am surprised at how good it actually looks ( there was soil and compost already there from last year) lots of worms and its all dug in and looks like something might grow there.
Now we come to the Leeks in the title, at last {rofwl} , do you think they may grow there reasonably well ? I thought anything that requires a flower to set seed would be a non starter but I usually get my leeks from the garden centre around mid May , when they are at the pencil stage (lazy me) , how much sun do leeks really need ?
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: LEEKS

Post by lancashire lass »

I would think leeks like onions, need full sun to do well.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hiya Annie

LLS right leeks do need plenty of sun and well drained soil.Depending on the ammount of sun it gets there are several things that dont need much sun.Lettuce,Broccoli,Cauliflower.Peas and Sprouts will all grow well without to much sun but not to many without any sun at all )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Thank you both, I will have a rethink )t'
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful