Garlic

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
exton_posh
Lively Laner

Garlic

Post by exton_posh »

HI, last year I planted loads of garlic cloves but due to the weather they fizzled out. Now I'm getting about 8 chive like storks where the garlic cloves had been. Should I just let them grow or separate each one and plant them individually?
3 Girls...Speckedy-Marilyn...Black Sussex-Audrey...Nera-Greta
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Garlic

Post by lancashire lass »

unfortunately if you try to split them now, they might not survive the disturbance and die. If you leave them, then chances are the resulting bulbs at the end of the season will be small. I'd be tempted to just leave them to be honest.

exton_posh wrote:last year I planted loads of garlic cloves but due to the weather they fizzled out.

When did they fizzle out? It's possible the bulbs were ready to lift. My early varieties came up fine but the weather affected the late ones and they sort of collapsed too but on lifting them in August, the bulbs were okay albeit most were small and some had lost their outer skin to rot but generally still usable.
exton_posh
Lively Laner

Re: Garlic

Post by exton_posh »

Hi, thanks for replying, they just stopped developing past small leaves which went yellow and withered away....I'll just leave them I think
3 Girls...Speckedy-Marilyn...Black Sussex-Audrey...Nera-Greta