Cherry tree and squirrels

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
p.penn

Cherry tree and squirrels

Post by p.penn »

A friend lost all of his cherries for the last few years to pesky squirrels. A couple of years back he managed to attach bin liners to a couple of branches and saved a few, but last year they ate them even earlier }hairout{

Any ideas how to stop this? The tree is too big to net.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Cherry tree and squirrels

Post by Mo »

Stand under the tree and shout at the squirrels.

That should save the cherries for the crows.

And blackbirds.

And if they're not very nice cherries there might be one or two for you if you pick them before they are quiet ripe.

We never get the sweetest cherries, the black ones. The 'white' cherries might be left - but they see them and swoop when they go bright red. We used to get the sour Morellos (if we didn't leave them too long) - but the tree died.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Don't know if unwanted cd's/dvd's hanging from the branches would put them off? They are quite good for scaring birds off, but maybe squirrels are brighter.
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

A shotgun loaded with bird shot. No squirrels, no cherries, no cherry tree. Problem solved :-D
Seriously though, round here there are commercially grown cherries by the orchard full and all are industrial strength netted. It's the only way to stop all the critters eating them before they are ready.
If this is too big a job for a gearden grown tree is there any way they can make a smallish frame that would secure a portion/branch of the tree?
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I hadn't thought about a partial frame - sounds a plan Dom, thanks. I will have a look at the tree again next time I am there )t' Rhubarb - I am not sure if the cds would work - it may well be worth a try though as even if it flummoxes them for a week or two it may help!

Mo, apparently the cherries are completely delicious. }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I've got a sweet cherry tree I planted about 6 years ago, and so far I haven't had a single cherry off it! The pigeons get them all. This year I thought I had it solved when I hung old CD's in the branches, and they left the blossom alone. But the birds have become accustomed to the CD's and the cherries are gone - again. The only way I can think of getting cherries is to grow a fan trained one against a wall or trellis. Or next year I may try one of the kite like bird scarers that farmers use. Trouble is, if it works it will scare off all the birds, not just the pigeons. And, would it worry my soon to be got chooks?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

I have a sweet cherry tree that I occassionally get one or 2 "just under ripe" fruit off - the pigeons peck off all the green cherries }hairout{ (all around the tree at the moment are clumps of leaves and cherries), and when the fruit ripens, the blackbirds have a feast. I don't see the tree as providing me with fruit, but I do love the blossom in spring, and it provides shade on the patio which is one of the reasons why I got the tree.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh well, at least it's a common problem! Thanks for your replies though :-D
Helen xx

sunshine
Lively Laner

Post by sunshine »

have a cherry tree in my garden it is a Morrello which are very nice for pies and jam,, it is 6yr old and every year get cherries, and the birds get most,, But this year it has been loaded with fruit and except for about six weeks ago when the starlings arrived and had a little feast they have left the tree alone dont know why cause the fruit is the best it has been )t' ,, have picked about 10 kilos of fruit made some lovely jam and some pies and a cherry trifle ,, guess i have just been a lucky gal this year {rofwl}