Long awaited first strawberry

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
davina112
Legendary Laner

Long awaited first strawberry

Post by davina112 »

I have had my eye on it in the poly tunnel for the last 4 days, just the tip of it wasn't quite ripe. During my busy day in the garden I inadvertently left the poly tunnel door open for a short while.

You guessed it, one of my little feathered darlings ate it }hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{ lucky for them I don't know who the culprit is or we may have been having roast chicken )c+ for tea.
[center][/center]Davina
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Re: Long awaited first strawberry

Post by tamk23 »

{rofwl} {rofwl} sorry but {rofwl}
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
perchy

Post by perchy »

yike*

That is so annoying )gr:

{rofwl}
fishpond
Legendary Laner

Post by fishpond »

davina112 wrote:I have had my eye on it in the poly tunnel for the last 4 days, just the tip of it wasn't quite ripe. During my busy day in the garden I inadvertently left the poly tunnel door open for a short while.

You guessed it, one of my little feathered darlings ate it }hairout{ }hairout{ }hairout{ lucky for them I don't know who the culprit is or we may have been having roast chicken )c+ for tea.

A family of Blackbirds have eaten about 10 of mine, was planned to have them today, no red ones left.
Looks like it could be Blackbird/Mushroom pie instead )c+
No problem can withstand the power of continuous thought.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Hummph i bet you were annoyed,i feel so sorry for you. {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

There is nothing like the first strawberry is there, so can understand how deflated you must have been. At least it was enjoyed, but not by you {rofwl} {rofwl} {rofwl}
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

I picked the first of ours on Saturday at the the allottments..The half a punnet never made it home :-D {cry}
After such a rubbish start it is great to see the hard work begin to bring slight rewards .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Jackieann I agree, I have just had a walk around my garden and things certainly are moving now, at last )t'
[center][/center]Davina
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I had one this evening. It wasn't quite fully red all over but it fell off as I touched it. Tasted very nice though. Looks like it is going to be a week or two before we get a glut but have the jam sugar in ready - ever the optimist!
Michael
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Ours are just beginning to turn pink. We were given the plants and they went in a bit late. Hopefully, we will get a few this year. At least enough to take a picture to send to our strawberry-mad daughter. Thinking about it, that may not be such a good plan. She only lives about 40 miles away.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I've got 3 strawberry beds as I make loads of jam. My family can't get enough of it. Anyway, mine are just starting to ripen. I have to net them all or the blackbirds would die from overeating! Between them and the pigeons which eat all my cherries and anything them deem edible in the veg garden, I don't feel particualy bird friendly (apart from chickens that is). But you can't beat the taste of a home grown strawberry, it's what summer is all about. )t'