some beginners questions about tomatoes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

some beginners questions about tomatoes

Post by Freeranger »

I have two plants this year, both bought as plantlets at the same time and from the same place. Both were potted on in the same general purpose compost. The dwarf one is a very compact little plant and hasn't grown much though has lots of flowers, but they're a bit pathetic-looking and they haven't produced any fruit. Should I be pollinating them? The other one (normal cordon-type) is now looking very much healthier but has grown foliage rather than flowers - it only has one set and only three on it. I think I should feed nitrogen-rich fertiliser to encourage this, but I'm confused about why the two plants should behave so differently in similar conditions. Any advice is welcome.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: some beginners questions about tomatoes

Post by billnorfolk »

Hi there Freeranger

Hope i can help a little with your tomatoes.
Firstly are the pots you are growing them in big enough,tomatoes make alot of root and need plenty of room to expand ,most compost contain enough food for a few weeks but it is escential once flowers set to start feeding your plants once a week to start then twice a week as second truss of flowers set ,high potash is what they need and tomerite is one of the better ones ,not nitrogen as this will encourage folage growth and its fruit not folage you want,i feed mine twice a week and water twice a day at the moment but mine are in the greenhouse.
Now the difference in plants the bush one apart from feeding and watering can be left to fend for itself they produce lots of smaller tomatoes.
The cordon one will need the side shoots removing which means the plant can put more effort into fruit production and less into makeing folage i will put a copy of my video on hear so you can see how its done
[youtube]m53lZ58KVmA[/youtube]

I nip the tops out on mine at 5 trusses though some go more to encourage ripening and no you dont need to pollinate them ,take a look at my diary you may find some tips on there to help with your tomatoes >gl<
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

That's very kind, thank you Bill. I think fro what you say they may need bigger pots. I bought some Tomorite today so hopefully this will solve it. I hope you don't mind if I ask more questions as I go on.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Freeranger wrote:That's very kind, thank you Bill. I think fro what you say they may need bigger pots. I bought some Tomorite today so hopefully this will solve it. I hope you don't mind if I ask more questions as I go on.

Ask away if I can help only to pleased to,them pound shops are a good place to find big pots cheap.Feed as per the instructions on the bottle and water and feed around roots not over the plant keep leaves as dry as possible )t'

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Will do, thanks. Do you think it's OK to leave a made up solution of Tomorite to stand for a few days? The instructions are for 7l, but by the time I've adjusted quantities for my two plants, it's really difficult to control the quantity. It would be easier to make up a decent quantity and use it over a week, but I don't know if it breaks down in any way.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Freeranger wrote:Will do, thanks. Do you think it's OK to leave a made up solution of Tomorite to stand for a few days? The instructions are for 7l, but by the time I've adjusted quantities for my two plants, it's really difficult to control the quantity. It would be easier to make up a decent quantity and use it over a week, but I don't know if it breaks down in any way.

I cant see that being a problem but dont overfeeed giving to much can be the same as not giving enough and realy feeding shouldnt start until first truss is set ie flowers dropped and small tomatoe can be seen ,off hand i think its half a cap full to 5 liters of water .If you have moved them into bigger pots then 1 litre per plant per week until 2nd truss set then twice a week feed and water as needed probably every day now weather is hot.Dont stand watering can where water can evaporate and stir well before useing it )t'

Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Hmmm, the little plant has lots of flowers, but they've sort of shrivelled away rather than producing any fruit.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Freeranger wrote:Hmmm, the little plant has lots of flowers, but they've sort of shrivelled away rather than producing any fruit.

Maybe a couple of pictures of both plants may give a clue as to what is going on )t'