Questions !!!!!

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
davina112
Legendary Laner

Questions !!!!!

Post by davina112 »

Firstly, do I leave the strawberry runners attached to the mother plant and let them grow in pots by the side before detaching them, or do I detach them and then put them in pots ?

Secondly, are winter brassicas a a specific type, or are they just brassicas that are sown around now for growing over winter ?
[center][/center]Davina
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Questions !!!!!

Post by Mo »

I would leave therunners on, until they have rooted (i think???)
I'm not sure if you can use any and every variety of cabbage, probably can, the back of the seed-packet would say. The broccolli (winter cauliflower) takes longer to grow than summer cauli - sow them both in spring and pick up to a year later. There used to be loads of varieties sold January King, march this, May that, etc. Not seen so many recently.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Brassicas - most will probably survive a mild winter but that's about it, survival as opposed to vegetables for the table. Some summer crops are just too tender. Winter hardy crops are best grown for harvesting over winter/spring. It's actually getting very late for sowing some winter crops now (like cabbage, sprouts, swede, PSB) as they do need to build up stores during the summer/autumn months before winter starts. There are some things you can sow some time soon like mustard greens, winter radish and kale that have a shorter growing season in time for winter, and in just a few weeks time, spring cabbage for cropping next year.
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Thanks ladies for your replies.
I was planning to put winter brassicas in the poly tunnel, not outside. Will this work ?
[center][/center]Davina