Weird Courgette shape

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jacquih
Longlasting Laner

Weird Courgette shape

Post by jacquih »

Bought some Courgette plants at car boot about 2 months ago,they are starting to grow now but they are round and yellow not at all like the Courgettes I know,what are they?

Jacquih
davina112
Legendary Laner

Re: Weird Courgette shape

Post by davina112 »

There is a plant which is part of the courgette family, alled yellow bird squash or I think petite pan, they are round, a bit flattish and yellow
[center][/center]Davina
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Could be patty pan squash - if so, pick them at 4-6inches wide. Very nice cooked as courgettes are, :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Could be Floridor F1 - I grew these about 5 years ago and they are really prolific (easily 2 or 3 courgettes EVERY day!) and yes, they are courgettes so treat exactly the same as normal ones. I thought they tasted sweeter and creamier but it could have just been the colour. A mix of green and yellow look very pretty when serving at meals.

Are they like these - these are the Floridor I grew?

albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I grow these most years but haven't saved the packet and can't remember the exact name. As said, they are very prolific and are lovely stuffed and baked. I pick them when just about the size of a small melon for baking, which is a good size for two of us. They do need de-seeding at this size. If picked small, they are lovely sliced and tossed into a little garlic and herb butter or a veggie stir fry. I also sometimes slice the small ones very finely and add to salads.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.