Sloes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Sloes

Post by albertajune »

We usually pick sloes each year for annual Christmas sloe gin, but this year the tree near us is devoid of them. Has anyone seen sloes or is this a general thing this year.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Sloes

Post by lancashire lass »

blackthorn flower very early and if you remember, it was exceptionally cold this spring for a long time so not much insect life during the day - I would not be at all surprised if the fruits are a bit on the low side this year
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Oh no! Please don't say that! I was hoping to make some gin this year as I didn't last year }hairout{
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
naveed01
Learner Laner

Post by naveed01 »

While out looking for a future supply of sloes, we found hazel nut trees that are absolutely full of nuts. I know that they are not ready until they start to fall, about late Oct - Nov, but don't know how well they keep. I imagine they have to be dried a bit to keep well but am not sure. We must pick before the squirrels take them, although they are important for their winter store.
sultan
manda

Post by manda »

Naveed...do they have squirrels in Pakistan? I didn't think they did.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny