Hazel nuts

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Hazel nuts

Post by albertajune »

While out looking for a future supply of sloes, we found hazel nut trees that are absolutely full of nuts. I know that they are not ready until they start to fall, about late Oct - Nov, but don't know how well they keep. I imagine they have to be dried a bit to keep well but am not sure. We must pick before the squirrels take them, although they are important for their winter store.
By the way, not many sloes. We found one bush off the beaten track that we must keep a secret or the sloe gin won't happen this year. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Hazel nuts

Post by lancashire lass »

albertajune wrote:I know that they are not ready until they start to fall, about late Oct - Nov

the squirrels will have had them by then LOL - think more like end of August/mid September (depending where you live) )t'

Wild Hazel nuts actually don't keep very well at all as they tend to be smaller than commercial ones so quickly dry inside the shell in a period of weeks rather than months. So by all means remove the kernel and do something to preserve (maybe roast, in a syrup, candied or whatever) if you want them for say Christmas.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

lancashire lass wrote:
albertajune wrote:I know that they are not ready until they start to fall, about late Oct - Nov

the squirrels will have had them by then LOL - think more like end of August/mid September (depending where you live) )t'

Wild Hazel nuts actually don't keep very well at all as they tend to be smaller than commercial ones so quickly dry inside the shell in a period of weeks rather than months. So by all means remove the kernel and do something to preserve (maybe roast, in a syrup, candied or whatever) if you want them for say Christmas.

Thanks for that. I will do as advised and try and pick just enough to preserve a few for Christmas. Will look up the preserving bit on the internet )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

This year is the first time I've seen Hazels on the trees round here. I've not seen any squirrels this year and usually there are loads in and around our garden. A friend told me there is a virus affecting them. I'm surprised you're having trouble finding sloes, there's loads round here.