change of plan?

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

change of plan?

Post by bmpsands »

OH and I are new to veg gardening, or any kind of serious gardening really, but we have had some good results our veggie patch this year.

On retirement, OH was given vouchers that will almost pay for a small greenhouse, but a friend is suggesting that we go for a polytunnel. We're prone to gales in this part of the world but I understand that you can anchor a tunnel by digging a trench and making it more secure.

Question is - for beginners who don't necessarily want to be cropping stuff all year, do we go for greenhouse or tunnel. The space we have available is approximately 3m x 2m.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Re: change of plan?

Post by billnorfolk »

bmpsands wrote:OH and I are new to veg gardening, or any kind of serious gardening really, but we have had some good results our veggie patch this year.

On retirement, OH was given vouchers that will almost pay for a small greenhouse, but a friend is suggesting that we go for a polytunnel. We're prone to gales in this part of the world but I understand that you can anchor a tunnel by digging a trench and making it more secure.

Question is - for beginners who don't necessarily want to be cropping stuff all year, do we go for greenhouse or tunnel. The space we have available is approximately 3m x 2m.

Good morning
bmpsands
I bought a 3mx2m polly tunnel several years ago on eBay it cost under a £100 delivered took cover off first 2 winters but left on since then wouldn't like to be without it now
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would worry about the polytunnel cover blowing off, there again I would worry about the greenhouse blowing down :oops:

Out of personal preference, I would go for greenhouse only because it's aesthetically more pleasing! But then I'm a bit if a girl sometimes. +f+
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Greenhouses come into 2 categories - very expensive but solidly built, or cheaper with an aluminium type frame on which panes are fitted. In recent years, the standard of the cheaper greenhouse have got pretty poor but costs have been maintained at a lower price though still an expensive purchase. The major downside to a lot of these flat packed greenhouses is that erecting them can be very frustrating, bordering on impossible even for someone who may be good with the old screwdriver. My first (glass) greenhouse was not cheap but putting it up was so straight forward, the cheaper 2nd polycarbonate greenhouse had a flimsier frame and took a lot longer but was just manageable. However, the 3rd (cheapest) was rubbish - so do read reviews before purchasing and it will give you an idea of the quality. The other downside is that they can be blown down in a severe gale - polycarbonate panels are easily pushed/pulled out of the frame which may be a nuisance but at least the frame itself rarely gets damaged. Glass greenhouses on the other hand are built to prevent glass falling out, so in a storm, I've seen entire frames crumpled when strong wind have hit it side on, and then there is the additional hazard of broken glass.

Polytunnels come into 2 categories too - a solidly built one (the cover seems to be a thick heavy duty type of polythene) over a wooden frame which is as expensive as a greenhouse and requires a bit of manpower to erect, or the much cheaper steel frame with a loose (green and white) cover that slips over the top that really is a doddle to put up. The expensive polytunnel that is erected according to instructions will probably withstand very strong winds much better than the steel frame ones or even greenhouses.

Greenhouse or polytunnel - well, I'm the owner of 3 greenhouses but this year bought my first 4m x 2m x 2m steel frame polytunnel after reading recommendations from DTL'rs and I really am very pleased with it. The price was a fraction of what I'd have to pay for a greenhouse of similar size, and took me about an hour and half to put it up on my own (compared to 2 days on the polycarbonate greenhouse). Greenhouses tend to have sides that are about 3-4 feet high, with the roof slope up to the apex ... many a time I've hit my head on the roof, whereas the polytunnel has a much wider ceiling space, and this can be significant with regards to volume of air that is warmed (large volumes warm up slower than small volumes so temperatures tend to be a little more stable) Greenhouses can get extremely hot in the sun (clear glass) so need vents/doors to be opened, and/or use an approved white wash on the glass/netting over the greenhouse as "shade". I noticed the polytunnel seems a bit more "humid" even with the meshed vents opened, but has been just right for the chillies, and overnight, the temperature inside can drop and be almost the same as outside so not very insulating. I'd imagine the heavy duty polythene type would be better. And some greenhouses may need a base frame (might be built in with the actual frame, purchased separately or you have to build one yourself using brick or wood)

bmpsands wrote:for beginners who don't necessarily want to be cropping stuff all year, do we go for greenhouse or tunnel. The space we have available is approximately 3m x 2m.

If you could perhaps have some sort of wind break or locate the structure where the least damage would be expected, I would go for a polytunnel. And yes, burying the sides of the cover will help to stabilize it in the wind but the frame could still get damaged in extremely windy conditions but so would a greenhouse. I'd say the more costly polytunnel if you can afford it, but as a beginner maybe it might be better to start off with the cheaper one just in case you later find it disappointing. You will then also need to buy anchor kits that fit on the base of the frame (a lot like extra long tent pegs with a cork screw type fitting for better anchorage) Go for the widest galvanized steel frame (25mm - also look out for the actual thickness of the metal as there are 2 types so go for the thickest) Covers are replaced every few years so is not a one off expense, but if you decide it's not your cup of tea, you can always net it over and have yourself a walk in chicken run or fruit bush cage LOL.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I'm grateful for the responses - and blown away by the detail in the one from Lancashire Lass's reply. I knew the Laners wouldn't let me down.

I agree about aesthetics - but honestly in our garden (and given that we back onto a farm) I don't think that's an issue for us.

There's a lot to take in and when I get back from my weekend away I'll put my thinking cap on, convey all the info to OH and we'll try to make a decision.

Thanks again.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
Kernow

Post by Kernow »

It has been said that no matter how big your polytunnel is you always want a bigger one
mariat
Lively Laner

Post by mariat »

I have two 8 x 12 greenhouses, and used to have one of the ebay 6x12 cheapo polytunnels. I say used to, as the first winter we had significant snowfall overnight, it collapsed under the weight and ruined my plants I had overwintered in it. Also, they are much more humid than a greenhouse.

I can't comment on cost v quality of greenhouses, as both mine were cast offs from friends, but neither were overly difficult to erect, although I did have to lay concrete block foundations to stand them on as our garden slopes.

If you fancy a polytunnel, have you thought about building your own? There are some very good plans on the web, and a strong one can be done out of old scaffold tubes, blue water pipe (can't remember the correct name) and polythene sheeting. I've seen them on allotments round here and they come through the worst weather unscathed. I wish I had done that instead of opting for the ebay one.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks again! The friend who started us thinking down this line is coming to see us one day next week. He has an allotment about 4 miles from us but although he's not in such an exposed place he is nearer to the sea and it's extremely windy. I think we'll talk to him some more. His recommendation, backed up by Laners, is for a good quality steel framed polytunnel and that might well be the way we go.

Can't wait to get started!