Keeping delicate plants frost free

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
bubbles108
Lively Laner

Keeping delicate plants frost free

Post by bubbles108 »

I know this is a bit premature but I have bought quite alot of plants that could last from year to year. However its stressed that they need to be protected from frost which could be a bit difficult due to lack of indoor space. I do have an unheated potting shed and wondered if that would offer enough protection and if it would be suitable.
What do you think?
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: Keeping delicate plants frost free

Post by lancashire lass »

It might be an idea to let us know what the plants are and then we can give some better advice.

If they are "tropical" plants like banana, then usually it involves packing stuff like straw round the trunk and wrapping the whole tree up (but in a way that keeps it dry - wet causes more problems than frost and ice)

If they are so frost sensitive, is it possible to bring indoors in pots and overwinter on a window sill? I want to keep some of my chillies going for next year, so I reduce their watering to bare minimum in autumn (before the first frosts) Then I cut the leaves right back and have them in my (unheated) south facing back bedroom window (on a pasting board as I have several) where it is cold but not freezing and they still get some light. If you totally exclude light, even dormant plants can die. You can do the same with cacti - stop watering and then bring indoors.