Great summer ! successes and failures.

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
jackian
Legendary Laner

Great summer ! successes and failures.

Post by jackian »

It has been the best summer down here in the south for veg growing this year that we have had for a long time ,especially after last year .What are your successes and failures ?
Starting with my successes my cauliflowers and broccallii have been my best ever (not having much success before) Ruby chard and some spinach , potatoes (late crop) , ballotti beans ( Pounds of them) garlic and cucumbers courgettes of course the size of marrows and I have some great pumpkins.)t'
My failures are my onions which are the worst ever (some smaller I swear than the onion we put in there) ,carrots (never had success with them any way ) ,beetroot not so good as usual lettuce a lot went to seed and spinach grown early on went to seed . My tomatoes in the greenhouse I have loads but still not many going red (I feel a chutney coming on ). }hairout{
Still to come of course lots of other bits and pieces especcially the green stuff that will keep the chickens going through the winter months . it all makes the hard work of the allotments worth while .
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Re: Great summer ! successes and failures.

Post by Benny&Co »

Well done Jackian )t' you've done fab :-D

Our successes
Tomatoes
Strawberries
Apples
Herbs
Sweetcorn
Courgette - had one or two

Our failures
Potatoes
Carrots - although they are showing some signs of life >fi<
Broccoli
Sprouts
Cauli
Spinach
Cabbage
Beetroots - although like the carrots, they might just pull through >fi<
Lettuce
Cress

Something seems to have got to everything this year and eaten things {cry}
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

success

Tomatoes have loved lots of sun for ripening
Cucumbers warm nights have realy helped
Sweetcorn has been a perfect year should be a bumper crop
Runner beans lots of compost or manure for a continuous crop
Leeks now comeing good
Parsnips looking good
Early Caulies excellent glad i did the early type as wouldnt care for this hot dry weather
Potatoes good crop but scabby
Early cabbage
French beans allways perform well

Have seen better

Early salad crops lettuce,radish ,red beat ok,but since hot weather realy hard as no rain
Carrots realy not as good as other years had lots go to seed suspect seed.
Strawberrys first year with new plants

Disaster
Late cabbage destroyed by caterpillers
Sprouts destroyed by caterpillers

The problem this year was the ammount of cabbage white butterflies in the garden,although i had my greens netted sprouts grew tall and pushed them off,learnt a lesson for next year )t'
A leek in the hand,is worth 2 in the roof.

Bill's Diaries.....2012 2013 2014
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

billnorfolk wrote:The problem this year was the ammount of cabbage white butterflies in the garden,although i had my greens netted sprouts grew tall and pushed them off,learnt a lesson for next year )t'

We've had lots in our garden too. The problem is that we see so few butterflies nowadays, I have been just glad to see them brightening up the garden in the summer sunshine. :-)
Michael
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I've noticed loads of white/yellow butterflies too this year - do they like hot weather?

Little blighters think they're the culprits for eating all my things.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
jackian
Legendary Laner

Post by jackian »

Not so many slugs or snails ..Now where are they hiding >coc<
4 lovely girls~~ Clover, the oldie and top chick Bonnie second in command .new girls Bluebell and Blossom.
2 lovely new girls 19-01-2015~~ Chelsea and Ruby.
Eva , Florry , Poppy ,Annie and Rosie R.I.P
The key to everything is patience. You get the chicken by hatching the egg, not by smashing it.” - unknown
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Forgot to say my cucumbers have been dire this year too.

Several sets I tried to germinate culminating in one tiny plant with what looks like a cornichon growing on it >dum<
Bev x

bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

This is our first veggie growing year.

Our onions have been amazing - but there will be a separate post about my problem with this

Beans are doing very well. We're still cropping and it looks like we will be for a couple of weeks yet.

Beetroot was excellent - kale was terrific until the dreaded cabbage whites arrived.

We may lose the sprouts - we're giving them time to develop but most of the big leaves look very lacey.

Caulis all bolted.

Next year we will use chemicals; other methods of preventing loss not having worked.
Next year we will have a polytunnel; I've found a strong one on line following recommendations from Laners.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

Success:

The polytunnel has been absolutely fantastic for the chillies. I heard on Breakfast tv this morning that this year has been the best for home grown chillies in the UK. Very prolific - some are still flowering even though fruits are ripening.

Tomatoes - outdoor ones have done exceptionally well.
Greenhouse peppers
Courgettes, winter squash and butternut - looking on course to be a good year
Summer/autumn cabbages
Sprouts coming on nicely
Garlic
Shallots
Mangetout (although the heatwave produced a bigger glut than I could manage)
French beans
Broad beans
All the currant bushes and blueberries
Apples
Plums
Jerusalem artichokes - I don't know about the tubers yet, but last year when I first planted them on this plot, they barely got 3 or 4 feet tall. Currently they must easily be 8-9 feet high LOL
Container herbs on the plot - the peppermint, Korean mint and the lemon "mint" (bergamont) have done great with some spectacular flowers

Middling:

The heatwave and lack of rain sapped a lot of moisture out of the soil - more my fault for not doing more watering that some of the potatoes have not done as well as I would have liked. Still, a good crop of Kestrel and Maris Pipers, the Vivaldi were small but very tasty, Charlottes died back too early so a mix with too many small spuds, the earlies Lady Christl also smaller than I would have liked and not as prolific considering I had over 40 seed potatoes.
Onions - I was late planting so perhaps my fault. Some really decent sized ones, some small but most a small-medium
Celery - again, due to heatwave and lack of water, are not as big as I would like compared to last year but not a disaster

Failures:

The raspberry canes have got old so no reflection on this year but just needed replacing.
Swede, winter cabbage, broccoli/calabrese - ran out of time getting beds cleared (spring was dry so the ground was very hard work and took longer, also did not spend my Easter week at the plot which is usually when I get it ready for the season) As a result, the heatwave took its toll and then the cabbage white infestation finished the job off.

Fennel and Caraway did not do so well in the containers

I lopped too much off the pear trees in spring but they needed a serious trim - result are just a few pears

Lessons learned:

The debris netting I got was worth the investment - normally I use pond netting but is not always great at stopping the cabbage white butterfly from getting close enough to lay eggs if leaves are just touching the net. Normally this time of year all brassicas are covered in white fly but so far have been totally free of them so maybe another plus?

Ground preparation - I put a lot of effort into the squash beds digging in lots of compostables. Not only was the soil nice to work (it used to be heavy clay) but the plants have really responded well.

Green manure - last autumn I sowed rye and although it took a while to dig in and rot down, when I came to plant the cabbages, it had composted down and the soil (again, another bed with a seam of heavy clay close to the squash beds) was lovely to dig.

Sowing too much - well, it's a lesson but do I learn? {rofwl} Far too many plants in the polytunnel and greenhouses and such hard work keeping up with the watering in July. I sow several seeds with intentions of keeping the best to grow on but I can't bring myself to compost the rest and not everyone shares my enthusiasm.

Growbags - normally I use them just for the greenhouse tomatoes but the peppers and chillies that I planted have done exceptionally well and will certainly use them again for those.
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Debris netting? Never heard of that. Anything that deters cabbage whites would get my vote.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

Benny&Co wrote:I've noticed loads of white/yellow butterflies too this year - do they like hot weather?

Not the butterflies Bev ,its the caterpillars that hatch from the eggs they leave on brassicas,radish,sweeds and even found them on me parsnips }hairout{

billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

bmpsands wrote:Debris netting? Never heard of that. Anything that deters cabbage whites would get my vote.

This is what i use ,bit expensive but lasts 10years or more,didnt allow for 5ft tall sprouts this year so butterflies got in }hairout{ wont happen again though )t'

http://www.enviromesh.co.uk/enviromesh-10-c.asp

This is what Lancashire Lass uses i think.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDEN-SHADE- ... 2a30d1c073

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

billnorfolk wrote:
Benny&Co wrote:I've noticed loads of white/yellow butterflies too this year - do they like hot weather?

Not the butterflies Bev ,its the caterpillars that hatch from the eggs they leave on brassicas,radish,sweeds and even found them on me parsnips }hairout{

Ah righty-ho, thanks Bill.

You know, I think they've also had a go at my beetroots, potatoes and carrots as well - naughty things aren't they.

I usually save my compost, do you think I should throw it away?
Bev x

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

billnorfolk wrote:This is what Lancashire Lass uses i think.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GARDEN-SHADE- ... 2a30d1c073

Yes, that's the stuff )t' I got mine from Scaffold Supplies Direct - I had got the 3M x 50M for £29.00p (the green seems to have gone up in price since I last bought) but then add on VAT plus carriage, it came to £42.00p but still worth the investment for peace of mind, and handy to have a big roll for other applications too like making net doors for the greenhouse & polytunnel.
billnorfolk
Legendary Laner

Post by billnorfolk »

I usually save my compost, do you think I should throw it away?[/quote]

Do you mean from your pots bev,or compost from your heap ,whatever dont chuck it spread it about on your beds )t'