A glut of black grapes

Gardening to 'grow your own food' from square foot to half an acre !!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

A glut of black grapes

Post by albertajune »

What a year it has been for soft fruit this year. In my freezer, I have strawberries, blackcurrants, rhubarb and raspberries. The black grapes that grow over a garden pergola have been so heavy this year with fruit. We have eaten them fresh, have 4 gallons of wine fermenting and still have some hanging there. They should have been thinned a lot more than they were, but being overhead, were hard to see until changing colour and actually set a second lot of fruit.
As well as fruit, it has made lots of growth this year and wonder if I should cut it back as well as thinning it out. It was planted for shade. so don't want to deplete the growth overhead too much. Any advice will be much appreciated. )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: A glut of black grapes

Post by Mo »

Don't know a thing about grapes.
It has been a bumper year for all our fruit too. Soft and tree-fruit. Last year no pears & just about enough apples to store for us and give away the 'use-me-quick's. Last year it was an easy job picking all the trees. This year, even with the help of Freecyclers coming to PYO I still have a Bramley tree full.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire